Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

MY CAT WAS COUGHING AND DROOLING ALL OVER HIMSELF, SO I TRIED

TO PICK HIM UP AND...
MY CAT WAS COUGHING AND DROOLING ALL OVER HIMSELF, SO I TRIED TO PICK HIM UP AND HE FELT LIKE THERE IS NOTHING LEFT TO HIS STOMACH AND HE LET OUT A BIG SCREAM, SO I PUT HIM IN A CAGE KENNEL, AND WAS GOING TO TAKE HIM TO THE VET WHEN IT OPENED IN SEVERAL HOURS. BUT HE WENT CRAZY IN THE CAGE FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS THEN HE LAID DOWN AND JUST DIED. WE WERE IN SHOCK, HE HAD NEVER BEEN SICK, HE WAS ABOUT 10 YEARS OLD AN WAS A LONG HAIR PERSIAN MIX. WHAT COULD OF HAPPEN TO MY BELOVED CAT.
3/9/2012
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Thank you for your question.
I am so sorry to hear about Gus's sudden passing on.

If he had been coughing and hypersalivating then there are a range of conditions we do have to consider from obstruction in the throat (from foreign material, tumors, polyps, inflammation, etc) to lung based tumors (since these can be silent until a sudden critical point unlike infectious disease where we would expect signs before this) to heart conditions (which can be silent until it reaches a critical point).

To narrow down the causes, you may wish to speak to your vet about possibly checking inside your kitty. A necropsy can shed light on what caused this sudden decompensation and death, and can give you closure to what has caused Gus's situation.

I am sorry to hear that he passed away so quickly and unexpectedly.
I appreciate how shocking this can be, but do take comfort that his discomfort was very short lived with such a short period of signs. I do hope your vet will be able to help you find the reason for his passage and give you closure.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, I would be grateful if you would press the wee green accept.

Thank you,

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian