Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

just asked it, again, wherd it go? why do you keep losing…

Customer Question
just asked it, again, wher'd...
just asked it, again, wher'd it go? why do you keep losing it?]
]
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/9/2012
Cat Veterinarian: Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian
How can I help you?
was told my 15 yr old,diabetic cat of 5 yrs,has progressing signs of kidney failure (has had 4 two yrs and taking azodyl which has helped) until about two months ago. they said the blood isn't something and I'd need to do fluids under the skin. can you explain that? (don't want to due to coworker's experience.) He recently developed anemia (no ultrasound) and received one iron shot under the skin (wrong place,) and was good for 2 1/2 wks, then received another iron shot in the muscle (correct place,) but only lasted two days or so.. never really took on more energy like last time. He did have an appetite, all along (hope he's not starving,) until after he threw up 2X after meals (clear liquid mostly,) and then didn't really eat dinner tonight. Is numbness in the hind leg or legs part of the progression of this disease or could be caused by something else? (the feeling did come back though after a short while.)could the aranest or darbo poetin hormone be helpful in this case or it's too late to try that? Would you suggest that? Or the kidneys aren't even steady enough to use the hormone? Pros vs cons? any other advice? how much longer can he live? is he starving? dropped to 7 + lbs, from 9.3, from 10 something over the past five months. last checked the BUN level and cREATIN levels weren't too high but the throwing up and leg numbness and not eating just began. (two days now.) your suggestion? advice? please help. success rate using this hormone? what stage does it sound like he's in? any other things you can mention?
Wow so many questions!

Yes synthetic erythropoetin could help. This is the only thing that may help to regenerate the red blood cells (and the anemia). Approximately 30% of cats it does not work in.

Iron injects do not usually help anemia caused by chronic renal failure. It is not a lack of iron that causes the anemia but rather a lack of red blood cell production.

The muscle weakness after vomiting is possibly related to the weakness with the anemia.

You can ask your vet for appetite stimulants. The best is mirtazipine every 3 days.

I must stress that fluids under the skin do help a lot - despite your co-workers issues.

Hope this helps
what about pet alive kidney support for development of red blood cells? any other herbal remedies? does he sound too week for the aranest or darbo poetin to work or you would suggest trying that? doesn't it sound like his kidneys are failing even though it's been controlled w/ the azodyl up until now? I'm not sure there is still time for the kidneys to do their thing, so he can take the hormone. If the kidneys aren't strong enough, then it won't work, is that correct? Any huge risk w/that hormone? Can that herbal rememdy be used in conjunction w/ that specific hormone? How aggressive could it be, if we're in the 30% that it won't work in? If it does work, would he be in pain?
what about pet alive kidney support for development of red blood cells? any other herbal remedies? does he sound too week for the aranest or darbo poetin to work or you would suggest trying that? doesn't it sound like his kidneys are failing even though it's been controlled w/ the azodyl up until now? I'm not sure there is still time for the kidneys to do their thing, so he can take the hormone. If the kidneys aren't strong enough, then it won't work, is that correct? Any huge risk w/that hormone? Can that herbal rememdy be used in conjunction w/ that specific hormone? How aggressive could it be, if we're in the 30% that it won't work in? If it does work, would he be in pain? How much longer to live w/out under skin treatment at home (just at vet office ) or that would only last a day or two of him feeling better? what does fluid under the skin mean or refer to? I added the last couple of lines.
The erythropoetin could still work. You would need to discuss this more specifically with your vet (after an examination). The kidneys should respond. The 30% failure is when they develop antibodies to it and then they can get worse after it.

The pet alive kidney support is probably not suitable at this stage.

There are no herbal remedies I would use.

Pain is usually measure in these guys by if they are eating or not. If they are eating ok then the pain is likely to be minimal. Not eating and we are getting quite unwell.

You're not required to accept until your question is satisfied, but if you accept now for all my help thus far, I can continue to assist you and it won't close the page. Bonuses are always appreciated too.
What about Aranesp or Dae be poetin (sorry about spelling?.)in a vial that has no preservatives (single use vial--according to a pharmasist,) but vet says as long as it's taken out w/ a sterile needle, not past expiration date, and refrigerated, it will be ok w/out preservatives although the company which makes it states that it wasn't tested or intended for use that way.. (they are talking about using it for a human, we are talking about using it for an 8 lb cat.) although we would be using it w/ a 7 - 8 lb. cat compared w/ humans (the way it was intended for use with a much larger dose.) How many uses would I get from a 1 vial, 25 mcg lml when the amount I will have to use is 0.13 ml sq once weekly? Once it's punctured, would I have till the exp. date in the fridge, to use it, or it would have to be used sooner, due to no preservatives in it (nobody makes it that way I was told by the company who made it,) but the vet says it's ok. The pharmasist states that the container has the potential to become contamidated but what are the chances of that for my cat. I was told that my own vet used it and it worked for his cat so I assume that he had used it the same way he is recommending for me and that he wouldn't do anything to harm his cat, unnecessarily, too. Your response on all of this is ...? So, that hormone compared to other one listed above? Ok w/out preservatives? How many uses out of 1 ml size, 25 mcg vial? ARe they sealed like insulin is w/ rubbery top? likeliness of contamidation? (sp?) etc..
This is common thing that we do in vet medicine for very expensive medications. I would trust in your vets advice that as long as sterile procedures are used it will last until expiry date.

You will get about 7 doses of .13 ml from a 1 ml vial.

Hope this helps
If a cat in renal failure is receiving fluids under the skin, is it uncomfortable for them when the vet techs do it? what exactly do they do and why are there tubes connected to the bags (I am keeping at home w/ fluid inside,) if it's being given under the skin? How is this procedure different from regular injections under the skin? Do those bags need to be refrigerated? why and/or why not? wouldn't they become contamidated if they are not refrigerated? what is in them most likely? the cat is being given fluids three times a week, plus taking azodyl b4 eating meals, plus appetite stimulants (as needed, every other three days 1/4 tab.) in conjunction w/ the hormone I mentioned. ARe these things all working together? BUN level increased from 40-140 after being controlled w/ azodyl for more than than two years, the number jumped up unexpectedly. what is helping what? My vet is away and I'm trying to understand this entire process. He has begun to gain weight now, the last week being the first week on fluids. Is receiving fluids under the skin very uncomfortable for him? Or he would feel refreshed after? How are they cleaning the toxins out of the body, does some fluid get flushed out somehow, and then that gets put in under the skin? can you please try to explain it and then i will respond and accept answer. I just don't know if I am harming him or forcing him to be uncomfortable. At first, right after the hormone injection he seemed like a basket case either eating (b/c of appetite stim.) or sleeping== one or the other. Now a few days later he seems to at least be walking around a little more, and acting a little more normal. Not just robotic actions from bed to eat back to bed, etc. at first he had trouble walking w/ his hind legs I guess water or fluids settled back there behind his legs... does it sound like he's ok? sometimes he eats half a small can of cat food after taking azodyl in gravy, (1/2 capsel,) at a time but he probably fills up from gravy too. then i give him cosequin one or two shots of that, to help w/ bones, again 15 yr old cat, diabetic for 5 yrs. and I'm glad he has at least added ounces so things are going in the correct direction. You take on how he probably feels, and when would it show that this is too much for him? I guess he's getting more used to fluids. at first he cries when I carry him to car, then on the way over there he doesn't. why only give fluids when the cat seems good, and not wait until he feels bad? why not do it less often? is it cruel to use appet. stimulant? sorry, lots of questions. as i said, my reg vet is away now. thx.. I will be recommending this site to others, just pleaese try to reply to me once again. I appreciate it..
If a cat in renal failure is receiving fluids under the skin, is it uncomfortable for them when the vet techs do it? Yes it can be uncomfortable but most cats cope fine

what exactly do they do and why are there tubes connected to the bags (I am keeping at home w/ fluid inside,) if it's being given under the skin? It is easier to give as you can give a larger amount e.g. 100ml via a bag, rather than 20ml syringes

How is this procedure different from regular injections under the skin? Not really except there is more fluid to give

Do those bags need to be refrigerated? why and/or why not? wouldn't they become contaminated if they are not refrigerated? Refrigeration is a good idea as they are less likely to become contaminated.

what is in them most likely? saline

the cat is being given fluids three times a week, plus taking azodyl b4 eating meals, plus appetite stimulants (as needed, every other three days 1/4 tab.) in conjunction w/ the hormone I mentioned. ARe these things all working together? Yes

BUN level increased from 40-140 after being controlled w/ azodyl for more than than two years, the number jumped up unexpectedly. what is helping what? Renal disease worsens with time. The numbers often do not EXACTLY reflect the stage of the illness.

My vet is away and I'm trying to understand this entire process. He has begun to gain weight now, the last week being the first week on fluids. Is receiving fluids under the skin very uncomfortable for him? Or he would feel refreshed after? How are they cleaning the toxins out of the body, does some fluid get flushed out somehow, and then that gets put in under the skin? The fluids merely rehydrate him. There is no flushing like human dialysis. His kidneys are not holding in his body fluids so by giving these you ar rehydrating him and making him feel A LOT better.

can you please try to explain it and then i will respond and accept answer. I just don't know if I am harming him or forcing him to be uncomfortable. At first, right after the hormone injection he seemed like a basket case either eating (b/c of appetite stim.) or sleeping== one or the other. Now a few days later he seems to at least be walking around a little more, and acting a little more normal. Not just robotic actions from bed to eat back to bed, etc. at first he had trouble walking w/ his hind legs I guess water or fluids settled back there behind his legs... does it sound like he's ok? He is unwell but you are doing the correct things to help.

sometimes he eats half a small can of cat food after taking azodyl in gravy, (1/2 capsel,) at a time but he probably fills up from gravy too. then i give him cosequin one or two shots of that, to help w/ bones, again 15 yr old cat, diabetic for 5 yrs. and I'm glad he has at least added ounces so things are going in the correct direction. You take on how he probably feels, and when would it show that this is too much for him? Let him eat as much as he wants.

I guess he's getting more used to fluids. at first he cries when I carry him to car, then on the way over there he doesn't. why only give fluids when the cat seems good, and not wait until he feels bad? why not do it less often? The fluids are keeping him that way. Do it less and he will become sicker

is it cruel to use appet. stimulant? No

sorry, lots of questions. as i said, my reg vet is away now. thx.. I will be recommending this site to others, just pleaese try to reply to me once again. I appreciate it.. I would also appreciate it too....
What about Aranesp or Dae be poetin (sorry about spelling?.)in a vial that has no preservatives (single use vial--according to a pharmasist,) but vet says as long as it's taken out w/ a sterile needle, not past expiration date, and refrigerated, it will be ok w/out preservatives although the company which makes it states that it wasn't tested or intended for use that way.. (they are talking about using it for a human, we are talking about using it for an 8 lb cat.) Once it's punctured, would I have till the exp. date in the fridge, to use it, or it would have to be used sooner, due to no preservatives in it (nobody makes it that way I was told by the company who made it,) but the vet says it's ok. The pharmasist states that the container has the potential to become contamidated but what are the chances of that for my cat. I was told that my own vet used it and it worked for his cat so I assume that he had used it the same way he is recommending for me and that he wouldn't do anything to harm his cat, unnecessarily, too. Your response on all of this is ...? Ok w/out preservatives?

RESPONSE: This is common thing that we do in vet medicine for very expensive medications. I would trust in your vets advice that as long as sterile procedures are used it will last until expiry date.

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION: That might be a common thing vets do, in vet medicine, but DO YOU BELIEVE IT WOULD BE EFFECTIVE using it THAT WAY, OR there ARE MORE RISKS INVOLVED THAN EFFECTIVENESS w/drawing partial dose, from a vial without preservatives, w/ a sterile needle, keeping it refrigerated. Please be honest and just tell it to me like it is. Thank you..
A vial with preservatives is ALWAYS preferred. That is if this is an option and it is affordable.
FOLLOW-UP QUESTION: That might be a common thing vets do, in vet medicine, but DO YOU BELIEVE IT WOULD BE EFFECTIVE using it THAT WAY, OR there ARE MORE RISKS INVOLVED THAN EFFECTIVENESS w/drawing partial dose, from a vial without preservatives, w/ a sterile needle, keeping it refrigerated.

And your answer is... ?? ?? ?? ??
THey don't make a vial like this that way. It is not available at all. I know it's preferred, so what do you think about the one question I just asked? I don't believe you have answered whether or not it's effective in the cat, to use it w/out preservatives, so is it or is it not effective (using it the way I'd have to.?)

And your answer is... ?? ?? ?? ??
THey don't make a vial like this that way. It is not available at all. I know it's preferred, so what do you think about the one question I just asked? I don't see your response as to whether or not it's effective in the cat, to use it w/out preservatives, so is it a good idea or there are more risks than goodness for a good outcome? Or you feel I'd be better off w/out the hormone and just keep on giving fluids to my cat w/out use of the hormone to help to generate new red blood cells? How likely is that, anyhow? How would you handle this w/ your own cat? (using it the way I'd have to.?) thanks...
I don't see your response. Have you done that? My followup question is listed above and important! Likliness of new rbc developing and that therapy working on a cat? Plus the one other question above about effectiveness vs risk.?
Is Critical Care Specialist now helping me? Please reread the above and then respond. I have to leave now, but am waiting to hear what you have to say. thank you very much, this info is very important to me.
I asked two other questions that are printed, above, and I keep on getting an email stating that there is an answer, but i don't see one. THen I was told that critical care specialist was going to answer, then they passed it on to whoever would respond. Well, so far, nobody did. Thank you.. please see the two entries above...
Cat Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 6 years ago
Camille-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Expert has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Yes, I am still awaiting an answer to the last two questions I posted and reposted b/c it kept saying I received an answer but I didn't see one there. Please have the next expert review all the messages back and forth. I'd appreciate it. Thank you... yes, I'm here tonight to view the answer. It is extremely important to me. Thanks.. Does that mean the expert who opted out from replying didn't want to tell me the truth?
Cat Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 6 years ago

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

okay, I hope someone will be able to answer soon and/or be qualified and confident w/ their answer.
just reread the two last questions that I had asked, if the previous answers are the same as the last expert expressed.
Cat Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 6 years ago

Thank you. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly:-)

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'll do my best to help. To address what seem to be your two main concerns. . .yes, erythropoetin should most definitely help your cat. We always give this from small vials that are without preservatives, with a sterile procedure, and kept refrigerated for preservation. I personally in 33 years of experience have used this successfully and would strongly recommend this to you.

Yes, subcutaneous fluids will help your cat to regain and maintain his hydration, help to flush out toxins and perk up his appetite, and I would strongly recommend you be taught how to do this by your vet. Two suggestions for this fluid therapy would be to keep the fluid bag on a heating pad on low so the fluids are more comfortable when he receives them. Also, make a little nest for him in a laundry bascket or top loading carrier. This will give you access to his back to give him the fluids, but will keep him comfortably in position with his back exposed.

Hope this information is helpful,

Dr. Barbara

Hello Dr. Barbara, Thanks for responding. What about using the other hormone, administered once weekly, called something like darbe poetin. Are there any known side effects of using this and since it is a human hormone, what percentage of cats will be helped by it? would you say the behavior of constantly eating (on appetite stim pill,) and sleeping either one or the other, back and fourth, almost robotic could've been a side effect of using that hormone which was initially displayed, but not anymore. Then he had difficulty walking using his rear legs, b/c the fluids seemed to be or fall behind his rear legs. Now he seems to be walking around more, etc. This hormone is stronger than the other one you had mentioned since fewer shots are required.

about the fluids my cat is receiving, the bag doesn't say anything about seilene. (sp?) There are fluids including other ingredients, along w/ electrolites. The bag doesn't say anything about refrigeration, but the other online vet mentioned that he believed it should be, but what do you say? The bag was opened, and some fluids were already used. Would that mean that it should be refrigerated, I don't see that stated on there either way, at all. Did I interrupt the formulation of the fluids if I did refrigerate it? I did ask the vet tech and they said it didn't have to be refrigerated but then I thought it might need to be, plus the other vet who quit on my here, stated that it should be refrigerated although he stated that the fluids were probably seiline but he was wrong. I'm confused, now. What do you advise? there seem to be minerals and electrolites in the fluid. What about offering my at clear pedialite from the baby aisle? Is that a different form of fluids than the ones he is receiving under his skin? Thank you for your response.

Thanks for your response. Darbepoetin is less likely to cause auto antibodies in a cat and therefore more likely to be used successfully long term. I would definitely give this a try.

The fluids are probably Lactated Ringers or Normosol. . .balanced electrolyte solutions. They don't have to be refrigerated.

It is not uncommon for these fluids to drop to the leg area. This is not harmful, but does impair function for a short time. You could avoid this by giving smaller doses more frequently, giving your kitty a chance to absorb them.

Offering pedialyte would be fine. . .if your kitty will drink this. However, the subcutaneous fluids are still necessary since ill kitties have a greater need for fluids than what they can consume by drinking.

Dr. B

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX upset the balance of the fluids if I did put it in the fridge? It still appears to be clear, to me. So there are no known side effects from the hormone I just mentioned, above? would you say it is cruel to give an appetite stimulant (the one which is given every three days 1/4 of a pill.) how do the fluids hydrate the body? (under the skin?) Do they filter what the kidneys no longer can? I don't understand how the BUN level can increase from 40 (being controlled for over two years by AZODYL,) all the way up to 140! He used to eat well, but lost muscle mass and weight I guess b/c of the lack of that hormone b/c the kidneys aren't producing it anymore. My cat has slowly been gaining weight now, still slightly under 8 lbs, but that's more than he used to weight one wk ago. (one wk on that hormone so far, and one wk through the fluid therapy three times a wk,) How much does diabeties age a cat? He is about 15 yrs old, has diabeties for five years now, (receiving two shots per day,) and has been on azodyl for over two years now. While doing fluid therapy, is the azodyl still needed before any meals like we had been doing all along to help remove waste products since the kidneys are no longer doing that? Thanks..
Dr. Barbara? Please reread the above questions..

No the fluids should be fine. They work by being absorbed into the capillaries and then into the blood stream to hydrate all of the body tissues including the kidneys. They also will increase the flow of fluid through the kidneys decreasing the BUN, Creat., and Phosphorous which cause your kitty to feel ill. They also will help balance all of the electrolytes.

Any medication can have the side effect of causing an allergic reaction, but most cats do just fine on darbepoetin and ultimately feel much better as their bodies begin to produce red blood cells again.

I would most definitely continue the appetite stimulant as it is very important for a cat to continue to take in calories. Also, in a diabetic cat, it will be much easier to regulate him on insulin if he is eating regularly.

Diabetes, especially unregulated diabetes will shorten a cat's life, but I can't say by how much. The better he is regulated the longer his life will be.

Yes, I would also continue with the Azodyl.

Dr. B

Please let me add: His Bun increased probably for two reasons. He became somewhat dehydrated when he did not feel well. Also, his kidney function has probably continued to decrease.

I am delighted to hear that for the past week he has gained weight and seems to be feeling well. You are on the right track for managing his diseases successfully!

I'm on again just to say Good Night! I'll check in with you first thing in the morning.

Sleep tight,

Dr. B

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION FOR DR XXXXX XXXXX:

REACAP: HE IS NOW Getting fluids 3/wk at the vet office, tomorrow will be injection number two of that hormone listed above, he is getting insulin shots 2/x per day (1 1/2 units 2X/day.) I am using azodyl, and cosequin: prior to each meal, mixed into gravy.

What do you think of using the following herbal drops in conjunction with what I am already doing? They are called PET ALIVE KIDNEY SUPPORT which lists the following:

Promotes urinary tract health
Support kidney and endocrine function
Support water balance and fluid regulation
Support the kidneys in carrying out the natural function of converting Vitamin D to its active form
**Maintains the normal production of certain hormones, including those involved in red blood cell formation and blood pressure regulation
Support the routine excretion of waste products produced during metabolic activities in the body

Do you feel this will be helpful to use in a wk from now, or longer than one wk after blood test results begin to show an increase in hormone production and use in conjunction with everything else, or you would recommend not using it at this point or wait to see what the blood test shows (in one wk.) You can check the description online if you need to see more info on it. thanks..
I thought they said Dr. XXXXX XXXXX had responded? I also wish to know who gets the money once I accept the answer, would it be her, or the first vet who opted out? or it just goes into a pool for them all to split? Just wondering how this website works. thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I'm awaiting your response. Thank you! My cat seemed to act much better/happier today which makes me feel 'good!'

I've read about Pet Alive Kidney Support online. I'm not an herbalist but this doesn't sound like it would be harmful and could be helpful. Remember that any herb, food, medicine, etc., can in any animal have side effects, so if you notice anything I would stop this. Probably starting this now is OK. I would run this by your vet there also.

Since your first expert opened up your question for others and I stepped in I will be paid once you accept. . .thank you.

I am so glad your kitty seems so much happier today. . .keep up the good work!

My best to you both,

Dr. Barbara

Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Hello Dr. Barbara, I went back in time, to look up this conversation today, with the intent to accept your answer, however, somehow the computer seemed to do it on it's own. This was for the original $18.00 that was placed on my credit card. I can't afford any more but want to thank you for your detailed responses. I didn't buy into anything else on this website, and cannot do so at this time. I guess there will be good days and some days that we are 'set back' a bit. I will remain positive and enjoy these days w/ my sweet cat. Thanks again, you are a nice person and a great vet, being that you are willing and able to partake in this online website. I cannot afford more, but appreciate the help and info you provided.

I appreciate your kind words and am glad that you are having some enjoyable days with your kitty.

Best of luck to you both!

Dr. B