Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

is there a home remedy/treatment for feline urine scald on

Customer Question
the anus...
is there a home remedy/treatment for feline urine scald on the anus
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/23/2012
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Do you remember what the medication was you used before?

Does your cat have a urinary tract problem?

Does she have diarrhea problems?

I don't remember the name of it. It was prescribed when the scald was very bad. Was supposed to be used for 10 days...I don't think she has a urinary tract problem yet, but in the past she will develop one if I don't get this healed soon. So far I haven't seen diarrhea problems.

9 years ago she fractured the ball of her hip and they said she would develop a cyst that would function like the ball of the hip. I noticed that her urine stream seemed to have changed after that. She was fine for a long time and then became very overweight. She has lost weight, but this flares up every now and then.

Thanks for the additional information.

Probably one of the safest ointments that you can use for this condition is actual vaseline or a petroleum jelly. Most of the other "diaper rash" ointments are not safe for cats and can be toxic if ingested (as most cats will lick at any ointment that your apply). The vaseline will help not only keep the skin moist but can also prevent the scalding. Another possible ointment that you could use would be a triple antibiotic ointment as this does have an antibacterial effect that could prevent infection of help clear an infection that is already there.

If this is not helping then you may have to ask your vet about a ointment called panalog or animax which may be even more effective.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Did you have any other questions that I can help you with? I want to make sure that your question is answered completely. If I have provided a helpful answer please do not hesitate to click on the accept, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time. Thank you so much in advance!
Thank you. The vaseline doesn't prevent the inflammation from healing? I think the medicine was animax....do you know where to get triple antibiotic ointment? Is it something that Walgreens or someplace like that has?
Walgreens will definitely have triple antibiotic ointment. The name brand is neosporin though the generic will help just as well.

The vaseline is more of a preventive therefore if she already has an infection then treat with the antibiotic ointment first and then try the vaseline to prevent future problems.
I read the back of the neosporin and it has some form of zinc or something with zinc in the name and thought that zinc was toxic to cats. So, it is really safe? LOL. If I had known that I would have been using it a long time ago!
Neosporin is very safe for cats. The amount of zinc is smaller then the amount that is in their normal diet. You can definitely use this without any concerns.
Thank you!
You are welcome!
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian