Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Benadryl Dosage for Cats: How Much Benadryl Should You Give a Cat

What's a proper dosage of...

What's a proper dosage of Benadryl for cats?

have read everything from .5 to 3 mgs for every cat pound...

After 10 years of indoor cathood (trips to vet and falling out of the window they love to lie in have been only outings; I gave up on cat strolling....), fleas finally jump-started their development in Oct.

Advantage, flea-combing, no bombing apt. yet, but...advantage is still with the fleas.

Lily, the fat cat (17 pounder) is much the prime parcel and is a compulsive licker. She has one smallish patch of naked inflamed but beginning to scab over catskin.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2012
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello. You can try Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for flea irritation and the dose is 1 mg per pound (and round up). So, an average 10-pound cat would get half of the over-the-counter tablet which is 25 mg. I do NOT recommend you even try a pediatric suspension. They despise the flavor and it will incur an episode of profound salivation.

But another option to try is chlorpheniramine, also available OTC at a 4mg tablet. You give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. I like it because it has less of a drowsy effect.

Still, we need to get rid of these fleas! Oh, how frustrating for you. On the one hand, I trust Advantage over any other over-the-counter flea product (frontline isn't working and none of the other products OTC work).

What will work is to get Revolution from your vet. If you have a relationship with your within the past year, you should be able to request to get a few doses for your cat(s). For the house, I don't recommend bombs. They don't work well Instead, just do some very aggressive vacuuming every 3 days for 3 weeks.

IF you have a lot of carpets, you should buy Borax (boric acid) laundry detergent. Sprinkle liberally over all carpets (couch/furniture is fine too) and work into fibers with a broom. Let stand for 24 hours and then vacuum up. It's safe for all pets and people to walk on and be around.

How bad is the skin problem? Are we talking sores and hair loss or just some thinned hairs over the tail base?

For Lilly with benadryl you should give 1/2 to 1 tablet every 12 hours, given her size. The dose of chlorpheniramine would be about the same.

JACUSTOMER-ecyvdx4j- :

Lily is the short-hair but loose undercoat kitty. On neck back and a little around front--no naked catskin, but some scabbing over of flea bites; most of her rotundity feels smooth and OK. Tail has mostly just dry flaking from old flea haunts. Biggest problem is the about a square-inch naked skin patch. At one point she had licked her belly bald, but it's growing back--the fur that is. Thanks for the Borax tip!

Dr. Zoe :

If she has a lot of scab, then she probably has a fairly significant secondary bacterial infection which comes with a flea allergy (allergy to the saliva of the flea). This may need an antibiotic to clear, but I would recommend first clear the fleas. And you will need to treat all pets in the household.

You will need to treat all pets for fleas. If you treat the fleas and her skin isn't clearing/improving within 10 days, then it's time to consult your vet about more medications.

JACUSTOMER-ecyvdx4j- :

Thanks a bunch; you are good--you answered my last question before i asked.

Dr. Zoe :

You're welcome. Keep me posted and let me know if you have more questions in the future.

Good luck!

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified