Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My Cat has skin problems, scabs on her skin around her neck

Customer Question
rear and back in some...
My Cat has skin problems, scabs on her skin around her neck rear and back in some places. Can you let me know what that could be? How to treat it....
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2012
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

Is there hair loss near the base of the tail?

Is she scratching often?

No hair loss and No she doesn't scratch much,everything else seems normal.
Thanks for the information. Typically, when you feel a lot of scabs around a cat's neck, it is typically flea related. Now, in cats you won't usually see the fleas because they are such fastidious groomers, and the adult fleas that you can see are only 5% of the population. It is possible that it is a primary seborrheic disease or a skin infection, but primary seborrhea is not common in cats, and skin infections is usually allergy related, which this doesn't sound like. You can try an anti-seborrheic shampoo, though. Using it twice weekly and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes before rinsing works best. Usually a benzoyl peroxide or sulfur/salicylic based shampoo works well. If not on a good flea preventative from your vet, I would highly consider that and treating the yard and home for fleas. The shampoo should get rid of the scabs, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
SHe never goes outside. We have never seen a flea ever. What would you suggest that I start with. She has had this before seems it happens yearly in the winter. weird. Thinking its a dry skin thing. We live in Seattle. fyi thanks.
Inside or outside, it doesn't matter. Many indoors only cats get fleas. People don't realize that they track flea eggs and larvae in on their shoes and pants. Like I said, you typically don't see adult fleas on cats unless they are just loaded with them. It wouldn't hurt to try the shampoo first. If that is not helping, then I would talk more to your vet about flea control. There is usually an underlying problem to the scabbing in cats. With it around the neck, that is a strong indication of flea issues, even mild. Hope this helps.
ok thanks I will try the shampoo. Do you think I should also get Advatage Flea control as well?
You are very welcome. Advantage would be a good choice. With the frequent bathing at first, I usually apply it every 2 weeks until the scabs are gone, then monthly with bathing as needed. Good luck!!
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian