Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

my 8 year old dog has an extra nail growing out of the pad

Customer Question
on her front paw. Does...
my 8 year old dog has an extra nail growing out of the pad on her front paw. Does this have to be removed and if so, will it grow back unless the offending real nail is the cause?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/8/2011
Cat Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 6 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) Is this a new or chronic problem?

2) Is the nail or paw paw swollen? painful?

3) Does she bite or lick at the area?

4) Is there any limping or discomfort?

-
The pet is a dog. I just noticed the nail a few days ago. The pad is not swollen or painful. She does not bite or lick at the area and has no limping or discomfort. The nail is only about 1/4 inch long but is curved upward and thats the reason I feel it should be cut back a little.
Hi there,

If there is no degree of discomfort, infection, or other abnormality in an 8 year old (older dog) - often we do not place them under anesthesia to perform a procedure. It is often left alone and monitored.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
Before I accept this answer I have a couple other questions regarding this nail. How often do you see this type of anomoly? Will trimming the nail cause it grow faster? How close to the skin can it be cut? Why does something like this happen?
How often do you see this type of anomoly?

Hard for me to put a number on it, not 1/10 if that is what you mean - but often enough where your post is not a surprise.

Will trimming the nail cause it grow faster?

No - it should not

How close to the skin can it be cut?

To the quick - to prevent bleeding

Why does something like this happen?

Likely some previous trauma to the area/nail

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist