ER Vet
ER Vet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian for 21 years taking care of cats in general and emergency practice.
59144988

Can I euthanize my elderly cat at home myself? How? She has

Can I euthanize my elderly cat at home myself? How? She has bad diabetes, a bad hip, and can barely get around. I would like for her to go to sleep peacefully at home not in a vets office. Is there any medication that would just let her go to sleep and not wake up?
BC
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and I'd like to help. I know this is a difficult time for you and would like to have her pass away in her sleep but there is nothing you can give her at home to help her die peacefully at home.

Any poison you give her is likely to cause her to suffer needlessly and inhumanely. If she is euthanized by a veterinarian with the proper procedures, she will die peacefully. You could try to find one that will come to the house and perfrom this procedure but if you can't it is much more humane and peacefull to have her sedated and given an IV injection which will end her suffering within 30 seconds of administration.