Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My dog is vomiting yellow mucus what do I do

Customer Question
My dog is vomiting...
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/20/2011
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

How long has this been going on for?

How many times has your dog vomited?

How old is your dog? Male or female? Intact or fixed?

What color are the gums?

If you press on the abdomen from both sides, do you detect any pain or being uncomfortable?

Any recent change in diet, given human food, new treats or gotten into the trash or plants?

Today for 8 hrs 2 in that period she is a female not fixed and she is about 4

Thanks for the information. I do need to ask you a few more questions to see if I can assess the situation better and better help you.

Do you know when her last heat cycle was?

What color are the gums?

Does she act like she is very sick, or does she seem to be acting normal besides the vomiting?

Her gums are pink she stared her cycle Sep 5. Her abdomen do sent seem to be sensitive to the touch. She is not her hiper self she is still following me around but just lying down mostly. She hasent got anything besides her dog food because she has also had diarrheafor the past three days
Thanks for the information. With the diarrhea, hopefully it is just something she ate. In fact, if there is any blood or mucus in the stool, or if she is straining to defecate or has the urge to defecate often; that most likely is the case. That is usually inflammation in the colon (colitis), which is typically dietary related. Parasites, stress, liver, pancreatic and large intestinal mass issues are also possible. Worse case scenario is that she has a GI foreign body obstruction or developed a severe uterine infection called a pyometra. With an obstruction, her appetite may be down or non-existent. A pyometra can develop anywhere from a week to 2 months after a heat cycle. It is a very severe infection. Check her vulva for any discharge. If you see some, that is most likely the case, and she needs to be seen by a vet immediately. That would be an open pyometra. With a closed pyometra, they get sick much faster and usually has some abdominal pain. At this point, it doesn't sound like an emergency situation to me. I would keep her off of food tonight. Only let her have a small amount of water at a time. If she hasn't vomited by tomorrow morning, give her a small amount of boneless, skinless chicken breast and rice (all cooked) every 30 minutes to an hour and monitor for vomiting. If she eats and holds it down after 4-6 hours, she will probably be okay. If not eating tomorrow morning, or if she continues vomiting, I would have your vet check her out to make sure it is nothing more serious. If she has any blood in the stool, it may be best to have her checked out today. Pepto bismol is usually safe for dogs (1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight every 4-6 hours for 24 hours), but it can make a stomach ulcer worse, and it shouldn't be used if there is any hint of blood in the stool or vomit. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian