Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience:  34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.
22217170

Hi, My cat has black stuff around the base of her claws,

My cat has black stuff around the base of her claws, we showed her to a vet when we adopted her and got her vaccinations, but they did not know what it was. She is an indoors only cat, but I don't really know where she lived before. Same goes with some black small particles under her chin, they come and go.
She is a long hair cat with lots of fur between her paw pads.
Can you help please?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jay Mawhinney replied 6 years ago.
Hi
The black dots/stuff on her chin are most likely feline acne. Often comedones (black heads/acne) from overgrooming and at times difficult to say why. If it is just a few and they go away there isn't much to worry about. If the chin becomes puffy and there are a lot of them then antiseptic scrubs and antibiotics ofter are needed. The black at the nail beds is usually a low grade nail bed infection or inflammatory response. Ask your veterinarian for an appropriate antiseptic scrub to cleans the nail beds.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Please, if you agree with my advice, hit the accept button on your question. Also you need to deposit the fee first if you have not already done so. This is the only way we receive our commission on the payment.thanks.We are not examining your animal and can only advise and give suggestions relative to your description.It is against the practice act and in direct violation of our license to do otherwise.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney