Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Can I put hydrogen peroxide in a cats ear

Customer Question
Can I put hydrogen peroxide...
Can I put hydrogen peroxide in a cat's ear?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/14/2011
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
HI,

Welcome to Just Answer. Can I ask why you want to put it in his ear? Is there a lot of dark debris there? Is he scratching the ear?
No debris and no ear mites. Very clean ear. Very moist. He has been scratching at it and rubbing his head on the carpet since a kitten. He is always wanting me to put my finger in his ear and rub but I don't want to do any damage. He's always trying to clean it. A VERY clean cat.
Ok. If your wanting to just have a general ear cleaner to clean out his ears with, I would recommend a product like Epi-otic ear cleaner. The advantage for it is that it will clean the ear and then dry out very well quickly. The hydrogen peroxide can irritate the inner ear and then not dry well. It could actually cause a problem, so I wouldn't recommend it when way better and safer cleaners are available. This one can be obtained from your vet or on-line. If you start to see debris, then getting him checked out is needed as an inner ear infection, ear polyp or ear mites may be present.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian