Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

What is the dosage to administer to a 10 lb cat of Bee Propolis

Customer Question
(concentrated liquid). the human...
What is the dosage to administer to a 10 lb cat of Bee Propolis (concentrated liquid). the human dosage recommendationis 6 drops 3 times per day. I want to use this along with chlorella to help boost immune system in cat who has low white blood cell count
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/12/2011
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Hello, and thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Devlin, and I am happy to assist with Rosie. I hope that her biopsy turns out ok once you have that done.

The bee propolis can be administered at 1/4 of the human dose - she should receive about 4 drops total a day based on the bottle recommendations.

Resins such as the propolis hold no particular toxic potential for cats that we know of, but monitor them closely since we really don't know. In humans, the most common reaction is allergic, since there are plant parts involved.

In addition, to help boost her immune system, I would look into the Genesis Resources Immune System support - here is one link:
http://www.immunesystemboost.net/resources-feline.htm

You may need to divide the tablet and place into small gel caps, available from a pharmacy, as they are a little on the large size in my opinion. I am a big believer in this company and the quality of their supplements.

Has Rosie had a test to help rule out FIV and FeLV as causes of her low white count?

Please let me know how else I can help.
Sincerely,
Laura Devlin
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Thank you for the detailed answer and the added links. greatly appreciated!

Yes, Rosie (who was a rescue in April 2010) has been tested for FIV and FELV and both were negative. I did this before I introduced her into the household. She was in rough shape when I got her, but has put on 4 lbs, and is now a healthy 10 lbs, with a full fluffy / shiny coat and has a good appetite, normal stools and lots of energy. She plays and chases her 2 new brothers around the house. She seems really healthy which is why the low white cell blood count was a surprise, and wondering if the lump could be causing some other type of infection? My vet thinks the lump is just a blocked hair follicle, but is growing quickly. We won't know for sure until a biopsy can be done. My hope is the supplements will help her fight whatever viral infection she may have and make her well enough to have the biopsy done. More blood work is scheduled in 2 weeks.

Thanks again! If you have any other thoughts on supplements to boost, please send along.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,
Thank you for the accept!

I'm glad she seems healthy otherwise and I'm praying it all turns out ok. Some cats can have a mildly low wbc/neutrophil count normally, especially is she could have any oriental breeding in her blood line. Difficult to know with a stray...

It may be worthwhile to have the WBC count repeated, and have the sample submitted to an outside lab, and ask the pathologist on staff to review a slide to rule out clumping or lab error. We can see low values with lab errors, but also with clumping from immune disease.

For what it is worth, definitely make sure the FeLV and FIV were repeated at least 8 weeks after the first round of testing, to help rule out early infections. As you may know, sometimes a bone marrow aspirate with an IFA test can be needed to diagnose either disease in some cases, but if the low count persists, this would be the next step to help determine why her marrow isn't producing normal amounts. An aspirate would also help rule out other marrow abnormalities.

I'm hoping it's just normal for her, or possible a transient decrease due to a mild virus.

Antioxidants - especially vitamin C. :) High quality food - I really like EVO for cats - close to a raw diet, high protein.

You're welcome,
Laura

Thanks Laura!

Rosie doesn't appear to have any oriental, she is a small all grey tabby. Here white cell count was very low. The vet said should be around 6/7, and hers was 2. They did check it under a slide to do a manual count. It may be viral and passing, and I hope so. We had not done any other blood work besides the initial FeLV / FIV test when I got her. I will ask for a repeat. Great tip!

I realized after we spoke that the liquid Bee Propolis I bought is in a Glycerine base with 20% Ethano
l alcohol and distilled water. I'm concerned about the alcohol base, so am returning it for pill form.

Do you know how many mgs dosage of pill form she can have?

She is on organic grain free food. Instinct - Duck, and Cal Natural Grain free chicken dry, with Wellness Wet and I give her a treat called Daily Dream Treat - Pheasant by Wysong. It has lots of great stuff in it, including greens, whey, ground bone, sprouts, kelp, seaweed etc... She gets this plus freeze dried chicken breast daily.

She looks great, and is playful and happy. Hoping it is just a passing virus.

thanks so much for your replies and help.

Its recommended to use 1/4 to 1/5 the human dose in cats. Unfortunately there is no research available to support this dosing, but it has been well tolerated at this dose. I can look up a mg dose tomorrow if you would like.
Hi Laura, If you can provide the mg dose that would be helpful, as the pills come in various strengths, and I don't want to overdose her.

thanks,

Carolyn,

Can you tell me the strength of your tablets, and exactly how they provide the mg?

Sometimes it will be straight forward mg - like with most medicine. However, sometimes with these supplements, it's more difficult to determine, and may be listed something like:

100 mg of a 5:1 extract.

The formulation will make a difference - thanks!
Laura
HI DR. Laura, I ended up getting a different liquid as the pills were capsules and included other ingrediants which I was unsure of. This liquid has only Bee propolis, glycerin and purified water.

The dosage recommendation is 15 drops or 1 ML - 3 times per day.

They say 1 ML (15 drops) = 167 mg of Bee Propolis extract.

They recommend mixing it with water, so I expect I will have to put it in water and syringe it into her, unless I can hide it in food. IF I mix it with wet food should that be sufficient water content?

thanks,

C
Ok, that makes it easier. Laughing

Start with 3 drops, 3 times daily. You may want to taste the ingredient - if it is very bitter, it may not be tolerated well, even in canned food. You can always place the drops inside glycerin capsules available from pharmacies and pharmacy supply distributors.

You may need to experiment, but a number 2 or 3 gelatin capsule may work.

It doesn't need to be mixed with water.

Hope this helps!
Laura
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian