Our kitten is now just 7 mo. and can be very active or quietly content. But she doesn't meow loudly or very often, and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our kitten is now just 7 mo. and can be very active or quietly content. But she doesn't meow loudly or very often, and does not purr. I can sometimes feel her "motor" within her chest, but does no audible purring. Is this a breathing defect, or just an anomaly? Thank you ......... Pat
Answered by UKVETJH in 2 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
UKVETJH
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there,

Has this always been the case with this kitten, or did she have a 'voice' that she has now lost?

Is her breathing normal, even when playing and exerting herself?

Does she eat normally?

Have you have her neutered yet?
Customer

This has always been the case with her. She was a shelter kitten - the whole litter had to be held before adoption was an option because of a respiratory/eye problem. Her eye still waters some, and there is a small scar on one eye. Our vet says she is otherwise very healthy. Rather than the small "meow" she seldom voices, when playing at 'hide n' seek' (running & hiding) she "chirps", almost like a bird.

The last 3 questions are all YES.

Thanks for the extra information. It all helps me to advise you that this is probably not something you need to worry about.

A sudden loss of voice is far more concerning that something having never really been there. If she came from a rescue centre and therefore possibly a doubtful background, and there was some respiratory disease as a kitten, there is a possibility that there was some damage to the larynx at this time which meant that chronic inflammation has changed the shape and therefore the function slightly, but if she breathes well now and is very active and tolerant of exercise I wouldn't be too worried.

Also, when she was neutered she would have had a general anaesthitic where a tube is placed in her windpipe. When we place these tubes we actually have to look at the larynx in order to get them in the right place, and so if there had been anything of concern at the time the vet would have noted it. If she had a good anaesthetic and recovered normally,this is a pretty good test of an upper respiratory tract so this is all encouraging!!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
UKVETJH
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
UKVETJH
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.