Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is wheezing and not breathing right...short, shallow

Customer Question
breaths. He is 11...
My cat is wheezing and not breathing right...short, shallow breaths. He is 11 years old and is in good health not overweight, just tall (weighs 20 lbs.). Domestic short hair white
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/4/2011
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Aaron, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Hello this is Dr. Aaron,

I'm very sorry to hear that Blizzard isn't doing well.

As you can imagine it is very difficult/impossible for me to diagnose Blizzard over the internet but I can try to give you some of the possibilities Blizzard could be facing at this point.

First of all I would like to say that you should not hesitate to take Blizzard to your local vet ASAP. Difficulty breathing is not anything to wait to see if it gets better.

With a patient displaying similar signs as you are describing there a few different things I would immediately think of.

1. Upper respiratory disease: similar to a cold that a person would get, this can often cause difficulty breathing (much like people)...can be caused by viral or bacterial diseases...often times can be responsive to antibiotics.

2. Heart disease: with heart disease/ heart failure fluid can accumulate in the lungs as the heart is unable to adequately pump. The fluid in the lungs makes it very difficult to breath and can lead to a patient 'drowning' on its own fluid without treatment. Depending upon the cause of heart disease or the type treatment could be beneficial for a period of time.

3. Lung disease: such as pneumonia..often times pneumonia can definitely cause difficulty breathing/wheezing/shallow breaths.

4.Asthma: cats can be affected by asthma much like people. Often times they can be treated with various medications to help control their disease (steroids, medications to open airways, etc).

As touched on above, these are a few of the possible causes of Blizzard's symptoms. Because there are so many possibilities and based upon the fact that Blizzard may require/benefit from oxygen therapy at this time I definitely recommend that you take him to your local vet hospital this evening (as soon as possible).

Best of luck with Blizzard.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions.
Hello this is Dr. Aaron,
If you have any further questions please feel free to ask them otherwise I would appreciate it if you would click accept.

Thank you.
Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian