Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat is very sleepy and lethargic. His temp was 105.6 last night

at vet. He had some...
Cat is very sleepy and lethargic. His temp was 105.6 last night at vet. He had some diarrhea yesterday but normal loose stool today. CBC came back normal. Don't think he got into anything or injested anything. Started on antibotics. Vet wants to do an x-ray of stomach? Any ideas of what could be wrong?

Optional Information:
Type of Animal: Cat
Gender: Male
Age: 1 1/2
Name of Cat: Milo

Already Tried:
CBC panel came back normal. Temp was 105.6. Vet injected fluids underneath skin last night. Isn't really eating much. Got him to eat about tablespoon this morning.
2/2/2011
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Cat Veterinarian
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. That temperature is quite high for a cat - it should be about 101.2 in a healthy cat. When cats have a temperature like this they feel like we do when we have the flu - they just want to go to bed, curl up, and forget about the world. He will be feeling fairly rotten with this - hence his lack of appetite and lethargy.

The most common reason for a cat Milo's age to have a temperature is an infection, so the antibiotics should help. However, I am slightly concerned given what you have told me, and I think it would be a good idea to get Milo back to your vets. I am assuming that because your vet gave him fluids under the skin that Milo was dehydrated at his appointment, and if he isn't eating now this dehydration will only get worse. This will make him feel worse, and reduce the chances of him eating - it tends to cycle after a point. You can tell if he is dehydrated by feeling his gums - if your finger sticks to them, he is dehydrated. If he is dehydrated then he will need more fluids from your vet - another injection under the skin is a possibility, but ideally he would need to have some IV fluids (go on a drip) for at least 24hrs.

Cats also don't do well when they don't eat - they try and use their fat stores for energy (instead of the food they haven't eaten, if that makes sense) - and this fat overwhelms the liver and causes problems. This is potentially a serious condition to develop. The best way to get him to start eating again is to take his temperature down. As you haven't mentioned it, I am assuming that your vet didn't give Milo an injection of anything to do this. Unfortunately, cats are really sensitive to human anti-inflammatories so you absolutely cannot give him anything at home.

Normally my treatment for a young cat would be an injection of rimadyl to take the temperature down, followed by a course of antibiotics. With a temperature like Milo's I would want to recheck them the following day to make sure the temperature is coming down. Like I said, if he is dehydrated then he will need more fluids. You cannot give rimadyl to a dehydrated cat, so he would need fluids before the injection. I would talk to your vet both about fluids and an anti-inflammatory to get him eating again.

Like I said earlier, given what you have told me I would get him back to your vet asap for the above treatment, plus whatever your vet feels is necessary. The good news is that the vast majority of cats with symptoms like Milo's do just fine with treatment.

I hope this helps - if you have any questions from this then hit 'reply' and I will get back to you. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please hit 'accept'. Good luck, Rosie.

Thanks Rosie for a great response. When the vet looked at him yesterday she thought his mouth looked fine. His ears were just a little yellow but she didn't think it was too bad. He did have some discomfort when she touched his abdominal. We have another appointment today at 4:30 if I need to take him in. I am at work so I will recheck him when I get home by taking his temp. She had some concern about him ingesting something, do you think that is a possibility? That is why she wanted to do x -rays. I already have $250 into him so I am hoping I can take for him at home with the antibiotics.

Just curious if you think if he fever is down, I can just monitor him. I have syringed water in him and he does ok with that?

You're welcome and thank you for getting back to me. If he has abdominal pain then there is a possibility that he has eaten something he shouldn't have - although I would expect vomiting, diarrhoea, or both with this. However, like your vet, I would be concerned about a patient with high temperature and abdominal pain and would want to investigate further either with abdominal x-rays or an ultrasound scan.

If his fever is down when you get home this is obviously a good sign. You are right - it is important to get water into him and syringing him is great (if he is dehydrated you would need to get the equivalent of 4ml/kg/hr into him - if you want me to work this out for you then just get back to me with his weight and I will). It is equally important that he eats to prevent this liver disease (hepatic lipidosis). If he isn't eating then you can get some hills a/d which is a prescription diet designed for patients who aren't eating. It is extremely palatable and calorie-dense, so they don't have to eat much to get the benefits. It also turns into a liquid when whisked up, so you could syringe that if necessary.

Having said that, I think the safest thing to do would be to keep your vet appointment at 4.30 so that your vet can recheck his colour and see if he still has the abdominal pain that she noticed yesterday. If he has eaten something and it has become lodged this is potentially very serious, so is important to rule out. If his abdominal pain is improving and he is eating, then he should be fine for you to continue the antibiotics and monitor him at home. Rosie.

Thanks Rosie,

He doesn't have the pain when I pick him up but she thought he did some yesterday on the table. He was very stressed at the clinic and I hate to take him back and cause even more stress for him. He weighs 11 pounds, so if you could tell me how much water to get in him that would be great. I fed him some tuna fish last night he ate about a tablespoon. He ate about a half a tablespoon this morning. He did go potty both 1 and 2 this morning. His fetal was a little greenish. He did have running poop on Monday but not yesterday or today.

Thanks for getting back to me, and you're welcome. A dehydrated cat would need the equivalent of 20mls per hour, if you can manage it. I'm not saying you have to syringe feed him every hour on the hour, but that works out at 480mls over a 24hr period. If he is vomiting or has diarrhoea you would need to increase that to compensate for the water lost in his vomit/diarrhoea. I would monitor his appetite as well, and if it doesn't increase as you are getting the water into him then I would get him back to the vets as this is also very serious. I would also take him back if his temperature is high when you recheck it. Rosie.
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Cat Veterinarian
Thanks again for your help.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Just wanted to let you know my cat is doing fine now. I just needed to wait and let the antibotics or time do the trick.

Thanks

Thank you for keeping me in the loop - I really appreciate it. Glad to hear that Milo is doing well :-). Rosie.
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Cat Veterinarian