Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.
31668627

My cat is holding his head to the side and is leaning to one

My cat is holding his head to the side and is leaning to one side. i think he had or is having a stroke. Should I give him an aspirin or something?
Thanks you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 6 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there -- Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Did this happen quickly or over time?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Aspirin is not advised in cats -- due to toxicity. There are no over the counter medications that are advised for a stroke.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There may be some other possible causes --

JACUSTOMER-gk3cy3yv- :

It just seemed to happen in the last few hours. Suddenly, not violently.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Vestibular disease (that is sudden and affects the vestibular apparatus of the inner ear)

Dr. BJ Hughes :

And inner ear infection.

JACUSTOMER-gk3cy3yv- :

What can I do? My vet is closed until tomorrow hopefully.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Is he having trouble walking and getting around -- ?

JACUSTOMER-gk3cy3yv- :

He is pretty lathageric, but can walk around

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Any vomiting (sometimes seen with inner ear issues)

JACUSTOMER-gk3cy3yv- :

No, but he is not hungry and is always hungry at this time of day.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There are not any over the counter medications that are recommended in this situation.

JACUSTOMER-gk3cy3yv- :

I have two cats and one of the may have vomited this morning around 5:00pm. I can't be sure this is the one.

JACUSTOMER-gk3cy3yv- :

What should I do, just wait it out?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

However, you can be sure to keep him under close monitoring, and be sure that he does not have access to any areas (stairs, etc) where he might stumble and fall. '

Dr. BJ Hughes :

But it sounds like any vomiting is not ongoing -- so you can try to get some wet food or watered down food into him.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

A vet appointment is recommended as soon as you are able.

JACUSTOMER-gk3cy3yv- :

Ok. I'll try wet food. We just started them on Science Diet C/D wet food and they love it.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Very good -- small amounts. As nausea may be present -- and vomiting may occur -- if it does then discontinue feeding.

JACUSTOMER-gk3cy3yv- :

OK. Thank you. IF it is a vestibular inner ear problem will it go away or does a vet need to do something. We'll get him in tomorrow.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You may want to consider seperating this kitty to watch urinations, Bm and appetite -- so that there is a direct observation of this one.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

IN an area where he cannot fall.

JACUSTOMER-gk3cy3yv- :

Will try to do.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It will be important to see your vet to determine if this is vestibular or inner ear infection -- sometimes you treat for both. But vestibular tend to go away in a few days -- the infeciton needs treatment.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There is a possibility that this is a brain issue -- stroke etc

JACUSTOMER-gk3cy3yv- :

Is there anything else we can do besides getting him small amounts of liquid food? He still purrs when you hold him.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This is good -- Just careful monitoring and a safe place.

JACUSTOMER-gk3cy3yv- :

Ok. Thank you.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian