Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD. 47 years experience.
24683783

My cat has pink urine, appetite is good

My cat has pink urine, appetite is good

Denise Colgrove :

Hi there,

JACUSTOMER-89f8zc7b- :

Hi

JACUSTOMER-89f8zc7b- :

My cat has pink urine, but her appetite is good, and she seems fine.....

Denise Colgrove :

Pink urine indicates blood in the urine which is either from an infection with bacteria or the more usual cat cystitis that does not have bacteria. there can be crystals in the urine of struvite or calcium oxalate. It is important to have a urinalysis done. Generally your vet will take the urine sterilly so he can determine which it is and give the appropriate treatment. In the meantime I think it is important to get a lot of water into her or him by adding a little water to canned food.

JACUSTOMER-89f8zc7b- :

ok, she is strictly a house cat, does not go outside, how soon should I get her to the vet.....and be safe

Denise Colgrove :

It is rare for females to block with their crystals (although I have a cat who did). so if she is not straining unduly--sitting in her box with only little bits coming out--then you can wait a few days and see if just water added will clear her up. I think that the CD multi cat food by Hill's (available from your vet hospital) is good for the non bacterial form. I feed my cat that,, the canned and add 1 or 2 teaspoons of water to each feeding.If she is straining a lot and going frequently then get her in tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-89f8zc7b- :

I just gave her some food, and a good amount of warm water, she is drinking it, so I feel better, I will keep tabs on her, any other place I can get that kind of cat food??

Denise Colgrove :

No, there isn't. You could go to any vet hospital and just ask at the desk to get it. So glad she is eating and drinking well. Hope that will do the trick of=ver the next few days. around 90 percent of these cases are the non bacterial type and get better in a few days with water and diet change.

JACUSTOMER-89f8zc7b- :

great, very much appreciate the help.....she has just about finished what I gave her....and there was more water than food. sure hope she is in the 90%, good night

Denise Colgrove :

Good night