VetCares
VetCares, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets
51052018

My cat has dry scaly patches on her back and base of her tail.

Customer Question

My cat has dry scaly patches on her back and base of her tail. She doesn't have fleas. These come and go every couple of months. What can I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  VetCares replied 6 years ago.

VetCares :

Hello and thanks for posting. Your cat has a classic presentation for flea allergic dermatitis. Even if you are not seeing any fleas, I'd use a few months of frontline or andavtage on her. When using spot on products, be careful to use only products labeled for cat use and stay away from over the counter products that have older generation insecticides.

VetCares :

Another possibility is that Ginger is too old and arthritic, or too plump to easily groom her back area and tail base. You can dampen a paper towel 9like bountry-not the industrial strength ones0 and run it over her back to help pick off the dander and loose hair.

VetCares :

If she has plaques of sores and non healing crusts, it may be that she has a skin infection and while age is not a disease, it mat be that her immune system isn't as strong as it used to be and she is more susceptible to a dermatitis.

Customer:

I have been brushing Chloe every day. These spots are around her neck and ears also.

Customer:

Would the wipes with aloe in them help out any?

Expert:  VetCares replied 6 years ago.
I'd be a bit cautious with the aloe wipes as cats really ingest a lot of whatever is in the wipes via grooming. It isn't so much the aloe as it is whatever carrier product is in the wipes. If there are neck and ear lesions, it suggests that she is scratching herself. Fleas, or food sensitivity (food sensitivity likes to show up in head/neck intense itchiness) and finally, ringworm (fungal) should be ruled out as well. Many cats are asymptomatic ringworm carriers and it is a non issue until there are immune issues. If these lesions truly popped up over night (seemingly) and wax and wane, see if it follows a particular flavor of cat food 9if you feed different flavors) and more importantly, consider a vet check to check out all her organ systems to make sure that there isn't some other reason for a less effective immune system. best to you and Ginger- Dr. A