How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Lee Your Own Question
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5355
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Lee is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a newborn kitten about 12 to 14 days old. He was beginning

This answer was rated:

We have a newborn kitten about 12 to 14 days old. He was beginning to thrive through tube feeding and had migrated to bottle feeding. He began having diarrhea for several days and adding pedialyte and other measures did not help. We finally resorted to adding cat anti-diarrheal in drops to his formula. He developed a fever and we took him to the vet. He had a temp of 104.7, and we were provided antibitotics to address the issue. The last few days he has deteriorated from a health perpsecitve. Still feels like he's running a fever. He no longer will drink from a bottle, and I think due to our efforts he's severly constipated, not haveing had a stool for more than 2 days now. He's lethargic, but still puts up a fight during feedings. We're back to tube feedings, but his belly feels distended. We're out of options. Willing to take him to a vet, but ours is very inexperienced in this area. We've thought about an warm water vet supervised enema but don't know what to do. Please help!

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.


Exactly what antibiotic is he on right now?

How many days has he been on the antibiotic?

And is he still on antibiotic?

Did your vet do any tests?




Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is currently on Clavamox 62.5mg/ml luquid, getting .33 iu's twice per day He's been on for 3 1/2 days. He received medication this morning. Vet did no test, stating the blood required from the kitten would required too great an "investment" at this time.

Thanks for the info.


I would not be as concerned about the defecation issue. I would be more concerned about the fever and infection. Clavamox is a very good drug and definitely should stay on that. With the distended belly, I would also be suspicious of intestinal parasites. I would suggest to ask your vet for a general dewormer, such as pyrantel or Drontal, and I would suggest to give this as soon as possible and continue on Clavamox and give it another 2 days. If there is still no improvement, then he really needs to go back to your vet for blood tests, such as feline leukemia and FIV.


Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We continue to tube feed him, but with slightly reduced amounts, about 4cc's every 4 hours of a KMR mix diluted with water or pedialyte. He has not lost a great deal of weight. We got him at 2 3/8 oz , he maxed at 4 3/4+, but is now at or below 4 3/8. Should we continue this regimine of feeding?


He seems miserable, and is not much more than a "limp rag" when holding him, but he does as I mentioned get vocal when doing things he doesn't like. Is there anything we can do to address the fever or lack of activity?

This same regiment of feeding is fine. At 2 weeks old and 4 oz is a decent weight. Ideally we would like to see more around 6 to 8 oz, but 4 3/8 is not bad.


With a fever and infection, that causes the inactivity. There is nothing you can do except to get rid of the infection, thus using the antibiotic. Fever is not that high at 104.7, it will not fry her brain or anything like that. There is no medication for fever in a cat. Antibiotic is the best thing you can do.


Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Would you recommend taking him to the vet again at this point? If there's nothing more a vet can do, I understand.


I also have concerns about having had provided him too much anti-diahrreal, or too much Clavamox. I've tried to provide the right does, but it's difficult to say exactly. Could his symptoms be due to my negligence?



Anti-diarrheal is not a good idea at all. Medications are not to be given without a veterinarian's order.


As for Clavamox, you cannot really over dose on that, so it is fine.


As for going back to the vet, you can do so, but all they can do is place an IV catheter and hospitalized him and get more tests done. It is a good idea since there is no improvement after 3 days of medications.


Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you, we'll take him to a vet hospital for IV, medication and monitoring. We have a great deal of love invested in him and would be heart broken if he did not make it.


Thanks for your assistance.

You're most welcomed and good luck.


If you are satisfied with my help, please press ACCEPT so the system can acknowledge my work here.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.


Dr. Lee and 2 other Cat Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you