Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have been having problems with my cat going in the little…

Customer Question
I have been having problems...
I have been having problems with my cat going in the little box. 2 weeks ago we moved nad he was having the runs. This Fri/Sat he started going "normal" again but wouldnt use his box. He would urinate in the box but not poop. Ive cleaned it out and put new litter but he still continues to only use it to urinate. I took out the bath mat where he was going and now hes just going on the floor next to the box. I have cleaned the area with bathroom cleaner and natures miracle...I dont know what else to do...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/29/2010
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

It sounds like he is associating that litterbox with the discomfort that he had when he had diarrhea, even though his stools are back to normal. This is a common cause of litter box aversion in cats and you need to train him back to the box by making the box one of the most pleasant places in the house and the other place either inaccessible or unpleasant.

The first thing I would do is to add a 2nd litter box. You can put it right next to the 1st one if necessary since it sounds he doesn't have a problem going there. Some cats develop a preference of one for stool and one for urine. Clumping litters seem to be preferred by most cats because it is soft. It also allows you to keep it cleaner as there shouldn't be a wet bottom. You may need to experiment with different litters. You must scoop daily! Cat's are very texture specific so look at the places he is choosing to go.

Next, you want to make the other spots unattractive or unavailable, confinement is one way. Maybe keep him from the places it is occurring if possible, especially when you are not home, unless that is where the litter pans are. Enzyme products are good to clean up with, but deterrents are needed after that. Try smelly potpourri or soap slices (as long as he won't eat it). Also carpet runners (with plastic spikes) turned upside down work great for large areas. There are also "scat mats" which give off a small electrical charge. These are not harmful to him.

Anxiety about something is usually part of the problem. Feliway® is a product that can be sprayed or used as a room diffuser and emits a feline pheromone. It is not perceivable to us, but is supposed to be calming to him. It is always a good idea to have this around as sometimes the cause is an anxiety he is feeling, and may be even unperceived by us. (other cats outside, other cats in the house, changes in the house, etc). In general, it is helpful to use these when move to a new house is involved anyway.

This is a hard subject to cover adequately in a few paragraphs. Work with your veterinarian who should have experience with this also as this is a very common problem, but can be solved in many cases. SInce it sounds like his was brought about by complications of the move, I think there is a good chance you will get it under control. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck.