Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 16 lb., 8.5 year old spayed female American shorthair…

Customer Question
I have a 16 lb....
I have a 16 lb., 8.5 year old spayed female American shorthair cat, Rascal, who has recently started urinating along the baseboard/carpet in her room (I have a 6 year old spayed female American shorthair as well). Each cat has their own "bedroom" for their own space/privacy/food, and they have been raised with one another all along. Rascal began her "marking" when my husband & I went on vacation for twelve days in April, which we do every year. The pet sitter noticed the "spraying" started about 7 days into our vacation. Upon our return, I took Rascal to the vet (to rule out physical/medical complications). All of her blood/urine tests came back negative. She stopped urinating in the one spot for about a month; but, has started marking another spot about 1.5 feet from the first. I have tried cleaners, spray inhibitors, etc...nothing is stopping her from the marking. I clean the litter boxes every other day (each cat has their own box) and have done this since I adopted Rascal as a kitten. Why has she started this behavior AT THIS AGE when she has never marked before? And, what if anything can I do to inhibit her from marking in the future...my carpet is getting ruined & the room smells of ammonia from the urine.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
Cat Veterinarian: DrLucy, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
DrLucy
DrLucy, Cat Veterinarian
Spraying behavior is a tough one to correct, but not impossible. Most feline experts recommend a multi-modal approach, which combines several simultaneous therapies. One of the first things I would do, however, is to make sure that none of your "corrective behavioral measures" might be construed as punishment by Rascal, or you may increase her stress level and worsen her spraying behavior. Punishment and correction are thought to be ineffective in deterring "bad" behavior in cats. Distraction might work if it can be delivered at the exact instant when the "tail wag" that precedes spraying is occurring. Suitable distractions might be a water pistol or a coffee can with a few coins inside (and the top taped back on) dropped on the floor. (Just make sure you are not throwing it at her.) Saying "No" just does not work. Neither will showing her or placing her in the litter box, because the spaying is a territorial display, not a plain urination behavior.

Before you start a treatment plan, I suggest that you read through the following material, which will give you lots of information:
1) The Indoor Cat Initiative, at Ohio State University: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/indoorcat.htm
2) http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=633
3) http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=612
(Note that, although many references discuss inflammation, bloody urine, etc., do not discount the information about information related to these, because there can be a waxing and waning of inflammation, allowing completely normal periods in between. So, even though Rascal had normal urine tests, there could be some low-grade inflammation that was undetectable.)

Here are some things that may help:
1) If she is spraying near a window, she may be seeing cats outside and perceiving them as a territorial threat. Consider drawing the blinds so that she cannot see outside.
2) Experiment with different locations for the boxes; different shapes; different sizes. Many cats prefer a very large box with high sides but no top. Do NOT use the covered litter boxes. A great box is one you make out of a large, semi-clear plastic storage bin with one side cut down to about 3 or 4 inches high (and NO top).
3) NO deodorized litter. It should also be dust-free. Many cats prefer clumping litter. Some cats prefer real soil, even if she never has before.
4) You should have a minimum of 3 litter boxes, and they should be cleaned twice a day, and scrubbed at least weekly.
5) Since she never used to spray before, and it started after you were on vacation (possibly a stressful event), you can probably assume that stress is at least a component, as it is with many other cats with various types of urinary problems. Frequently there are also low-grade inflammatory conditions of the bladder and/or urethra. These may wax and wane, so a cat would be completely normal (with normal urine tests) in between episodes. There are various medications that can be tried, to help reduce her stress reaction (if present), reduce inflammation, and relax her bladder muscles. It is hard to predict which one(s) will work. You just have to try. Possibilities are: A commonly used one is Amitriptyline. Alprazolam can also be tried. For antiinflammatory effects, low-dose Metacam can be used. Other medications that have been tried are gabapentin and Tramadol. A glucosamine/chondroitin supplement (Cosequin for cats) helps some cats. (Usually used for arthritis, but there is some evidence that it helps keep the mucosal lining of the bladder healthy). All of these would have to be obtained through your vet.
5) Weight loss may help a lot. Just carrying around extra pounds is a significant stress on a cat's whole system. In addition, it makes the bladder more difficult to empty completely, and makes hygeine of the genital area difficult for her to accomplish without help (like cleansing daily with baby wipes, by you).
6) Most experts on feline urinary disorders recommend switching to a completely canned diet, to increase consumption of liquids. They also recommend doing everything you can to encourage water drinking--offer clam juice, tuna juice, low-sodium broth; cat fountains; different types of water bowls; etc.
7) There is some evidence that Feliway pheromone diffuser or spray can help reduce stress-induced spraying in some cats. It is worth a try: http://www.feliway.com/us

I think this covers most of the available information. If you have any questions about any of it, please don't hesitate to ask me. I would be happy to help. It's a frustrating problem to live with. I understand all too well, myself.