Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Hi, I adopted my cat a couple of months ago from a shelter.

Customer Question
Hi, I adopted my cat a...
I adopted my cat a couple of months ago from a shelter. She was treated right away at a vet for constant sneezing, red and inflamed gums and poor apetitie--given antibiotics and fluid shot. She has now recovered with great apetite, very playful, and gums are fine. She had been checked and had both Herpes and Leukemia vaccines from shelter doctor.]

She still however from time to time, sneezes--particularly when she goes to an open window, but not always. She used to exhibit what I would say was kind of athsyma after running around alot, but not so much these past few weeks. Now it is just occasional sneezing day and evening. Eyes are clear, eating great. Could this just be case of allergies? I live at the beach--right on the coastline in So. Calif. She is always indoors.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/29/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian

HI there,

Welcome to Just Answer.

Yes -- it is completely possible that it is an allergic reaction or type of asthma. This is not uncommon in cats. If it is not severe, no treatment is necessary. However, if it is problematic or difficulty on breathing is noted -- tehn a vet should be consulted as to which medications would be most approrpiate. Antihistamines would likely be the best place to start for short term control if necessary.

Another possibility is that the linig of the sinus is more easily affected by allergens or dust simply because of teh past infections. This seems to be common in cats with upper respiratory infections.

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian