Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 10-year-old cat has been having a clear discharge from one…

Customer Question
My 10-year-old cat has been...
My 10-year-old cat has been having a clear discharge from one eye. There is redness to the eye, and the seepage has caused the area to the side of the eye (along the nose) to turn red and raw-looking at times, and it looks like there might be some hair loss in that area. It has gotten a little bloody at times when she rubs it too much. She has had flare-ups in the past with the herpes virus, and has a little cat acne problem, but it usually calms down after a short period. Is there anything that I can do as a home treatment, or is it serious enough to warrant a visit to my vet?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/29/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

What you are seeing could potentially be another flare up of the herpes virus, however, usually herpes would affect both eyes. Other possibilities for the eye problem include eye infection and accidental trauma leading to corneal ulcer/abrasion, as well as possible glaucoma. Unfortunately she does need to go see your vet for an eye exam. Hopefully it's not glaucoma, and it's just a simple infection, and that will require prescription antibiotic and steroid eye drops. Using these drops for 10 days will completely clear it up. Without going to the vet, there is very little you can do to help. You can try giving Benadryl 25 mg tablet, and give 1/2 tablet every 12 hours to see if that can help. But the chances, it won't do too much. Because of the redness and the discharge, we are at a point where it is best to use prescription medications to get it under control as quickly as possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.