Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Hi, I need a dry cat food that addresses both urinary health…

Customer Question
Hi, I need a...
I need a dry cat food that addresses both urinary health and weight loss.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/29/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Andrea Roberts, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there

This problem occurs a lot- and for some reason the choice of diets seems more limited in the US than in the UK which i can't believe! We have a veterinary diet called 'Royal canin urinary S/O restricted calorie' which as stated in the name controls urinary crystals and also helps with obesity as it has restricted calories- unfortunately they don't sell it in the US!! Frustrating !

Previously with customers in the US and Canada i have directed them to the royal canin website, which is www.royalcanin.us and suggested using a combination of the veterinary diets 'calorie control formula' and the 'urinary SO formula', as all the royal canin foods have a good 'SO index' anyway- this means all their diets are unlikely to produce struvite or oxalate crystals in the urine. I would suggest feeding a mix of 50% calorie control and 50% urinary SO formula- to get the best of both worlds.

Ideally, i would go to their site and in the 'contact us' section send them an email explaining your cats requirements, as their customer care department is excellent and they can usually come up with a balanced feeding regime for your pet.

While you are doing this- ask them why they can't offer a restricted calorie urinary diet for their North American customers, when its freely available in the UK!

Hope this helps Andrea