Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: bleeding..swollen..signs..Could this be a black widow bite?

Customer Question
I went away for the...
I went away for the weekend and when I came back I found that the right side of my cat's face is black and bleeding and her face is very swollen. There are no other signs of anything anywhere else on her. Could this be a black widow bite? We live in CA so we dont have Brown Recluse. It looks as if the skin on her cheek is dead. Otherwise she seems fine---she eats, drinks, purrs, walks around as if its nothing.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/29/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Lazarcheff, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lazarcheff
Dr. Lazarcheff, Cat Veterinarian
Good morning,

This sounds like an abscess, It can be due to cat fight wounds or other puncture wounds. Brown recluse bite are rare and black widow bites really make the cats very ill. The western diamond back is common in California. Any chance this is a snake bite?

Dr. Kevin