Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat, Jesse, is siamese and about 6 years old. He has been…

Customer Question
My cat, Jesse, is siamese...
My cat, Jesse, is siamese and about 6 years old. He has been throwing up food most of his life. Commonly vomits after eating voraciously, then eats it later. About 5 weeks ago, Jesse stopped eating altogether. After 4 weeks, Jesse became jaundiced and appeared to be looking for a place to die. His blue eyes changed color to green, skin yellowed, mouth (tongue and gums) turned whitish/yellow. Lost all weight and looked emaciated. For last 3 years Jesse has been indoors- he was previously very active and hunted. Moved him to our horse ranch from a city home. We have other active cats here. All hunt for food, along with regular feedings. Jesse is timid and couldn't adapt to change well. In sedintary life, he gained weight and slowed down. Jess is normally slight and fast, did not take weight well.

I have been force-feeding him now for little more than a week with Hills AD and water. His color has improved, tongue is pinkish, ears are white and grey - more normal like before, not yellow - eyes still slightly green, but may be bluing up. He has finally had a stool and now urinates substantial amounts. Will not eat or drink on own, though, and is very sedintary. Still throws up most of what I feed him. Needs to lie down all of the time and wants to get outside.

I thought he may have had liver problems from being overweight, but with all fat stores diminished and continued vomiting,the cause seems related to something else. I cannot afford at this time to get ultrasound, x-ray and blood testing presently - Maybe in near future (8 - 12-weeks). What do you think?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/29/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Lisa, Small Animal Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Small Animal Veterinarian
Hello:

I would like to help you with Jesse.

At this stage, it is safe to say that he did suffer an insult to his liver, and now, his illness is so severe that he would really benefit from medication and even a feeding tube.

I understand that these are tough financial times, so I would hope that you would take advantage of this website (http://www.pgaa.com/financialaid.html) to try to find some help.

I do not think that it will be easy for you to help him turn the corner without some medical help, and there is nothing to recommend for treatment without a diagnosis based on an exam and lab work.

I hope this answer will help you get the help that you need,
Dr. Lisa