Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: appetite..anal glands..his rectum all i got were chunks..bowels…

Customer Question
my cat has no appetite...
my cat has no appetite and a hard abdomin he is in severe pain. i thought it might have been his anal glands but when i put my finger in his rectum all i got were chunks of dried blood. we tried giving him an enigma to relive his bowels but all that came was the water we put in. what is wrong with him?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/28/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Is he drinking normally?

Is he lethargic?

Is he urinating and defecating normally?

Any vomiting?

Any coughing or sneezing?

Thanks.

he will not eat or drink. can not defecate no vomiting or coughing or sneezing

Is he urinating normally?

Thanks.

i don't know, i have been away overnight and came home and found him like this.

Thanks for the info.

There are a few possibilities, including linear foreign body obstruction, megacolon, and urinary tract obstruction. He needs to go see your vet for exam and x-rays as soon as possible. Depending on the x-ray results, he might need anything from simple oral medication to surgery. If possible, going to the ER now would be best. If not, then he needs to go see your vet first thing in the morning.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian
thanks you so much Dr. lee for your help. i took my cat to the et this morning and he had kidney sand in his bladder. they cleaned it out and are keeping him overnight to watch his kidneys. just wanted you to know what happened.
You're most welcomed. I'm glad Baby Kitty is doing good! Best of luck!

Dear Dr.Lee,

I just wanted to give you an update on Baby Kitty. he had to spend two weeks in the hospital because the sand was not draining from his bladder even tho he had a catheter in. they had to take him in to boston for emercency surgery where the had to remove his penis to make a larger opening for the sand to escape. that was several months ago. he is doing wonderful now and is back to his old happy self again! he stills steal food if you leave it out, even bread!

sincerely , Jessica Ignatowich