Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have taken Sunset ( adult female 11yr old cat ) to to the…

Customer Question
I have taken Sunset (...
I have taken Sunset ( adult female 11yr old cat ) to to the vet for soreness between paws,claws. She was treated with antibiotics, it seemed to work, then a return trip i was told it was self mutilation, she always over-cleans that paw. now after using litter box litter sticks to the paw and she has to clean it until it's red with some blood. What home remedy- solution can I try, doctor did not give much help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/28/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

You can try to bandage up that paw for a couple weeks, so the skin can heal properly. And once she is healed properly, then it should not cause any more problems. However, you do also need to change the litter to some other type so it does not stick to the paw.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian
Well I don't know how one person can bandage up the rear paw of a cat, but i did change to yesterdays news for litter

Is the new litter helping at all?

Well, it doesn't stick to the paw, to soon to know
For bandaging, you can try first wrapping the paw with a couple pieces of gauze paddings, and then wrap the whole paw with elastic bandage as used in sports injury for people.