Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have 4 cats, all totally indoors. All have been here for…

Customer Question
I have 4 cats, all...
I have 4 cats, all totally indoors. All have been here for over one year - no outdoor contact. My older male cats just passed what I can only describe as a few small (less than 1/2") white "worms". They were not moving but he passed them as though he was having a bowel movement on the floor. They were not flat and did not have what I would say the typical appearance of a roundworm. What could they be? I cleaned up the area with Clorox and have isolated him much to his dismay. What should I do about the other cats? I have 3 litter boxes and they are all cleaned at least once a day. This cat is about 7 and neutered.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/28/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

It sounds to me like your cat just produced some tapeworm segments. Not all tapeworms are flat but they are usually only about 1/2 inch. They often will stick to the rear end or come out in the stool. Often some will dry up and look like grains of rice stuck to fur around the rear of your cat. Tapeworms come from ingesting fleas, flea eggs, or ingesting animals with tapeworms (mice or birds). Usually we never find the source. However if they are tapeworms, usually it is not a threat to your other cats and a single dose of a dewormer called praziquantel from your vet will get rid of the tapeworms. If you still have the ability save one of the segments in a baggie for your vet to examine. That is the easiest way to confirm tapeworms and expedite treatment. For more information see this website: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=562

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan
The segments were very soft and when I wiped them up with a cloth and clorox they just "disappeared". How could a cat that has not been outside or in contact with another animal from the "other world" get these? I just saw him use the litter box and nothing else passed but normal feces. I have not seen any other evidence and he is a totally black cat. He seems to be in distress when using the box as well.
Was his stool soft as well?

Dr. Dan
No. the stool was normal, firm and well formed. I watched him and he acted as though it was uncomfortable or something was wrong.
To answer your first question about how indoor cats get this it's usually by catching mice or other insects in the house that carry the eggs.

However back to the point... thank you for describing this in more detail. Since you described straining and the white stuff dissolving the other possibility is mucus. Cats who are straining to defecate can have a mucus substance streaked or lined around the stool. Often this is the beginnings of an episode of diarrhea. The mucus itself is not harmful but if the straining continues or the stool becomes soft over the next few hours to days then an exam by your vet is warranted. I would keep an eye on your kitty, if this keeps happening see your vet.

I hope this helps and thanks for explaining the details further.
Dr. Dan
Just to clarify, when he passed the suspected matter, there was no stool, not colored material at all, just the segments and a minute amount of clear material and I mean minute. I had a cat several years ago that had to be catheterized due to calcifications, not the same thing?
I don't believe this is the same thing, normally if they need a catheter then they are in more distress. Straining to defecate can definitely cause this likely mucus production. If he goes into the litter box and strains and NOTHING is produced then that changes everything and he needs to be seen immediately by the vet. If cats need a catheter they strain with nothing produced, they then become lethargic and start vomiting. Based on what you are describing I'm not suspicious of this yet but keep a close eye on him.

Dr. Dan
Should I continue to keep him isolated from the other cats?
He is not likely a threat to the other cats so you don't need to isolate him for the other cats. If you need to isolate him so you can observe him more easily then it is a good idea but only for ease of observation.

Dr. Dan