Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: uveitis and the ophthalmologist put him on prednisone..developed…

Customer Question
(I am sending this question...
(I am sending this question through two websites as it seems it nay not have gone through initially. My email address [email protected])

My cat Miro started with uveitis and the ophthalmologist put him on prednisone. Then he developed herpes keratitis which has flared 3 or 4 times over the past 2 months. Best so far has been to use famcyclovir 250 mg 1/4th tab twice daily. The uveitis is now mild but still present. My question: Do you recommend I continue with every other day prednisone and the famcyclovir BID along with cidofovir drops BID. I need to get some cat-palatable Lysine as what I have he refuses if its in his food. What would you recommend I do. I have been thinking that he never had any problem with herpes until the prednisone so am wondering if the prednisone were reduced slightly, it might prevent the herpes flareups. Doc has said we could remove his eye which, of course, seems radical to me. Please advise in as much depth as you can. Thanks very much.
Karen Ford
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/28/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian

Unfortunately it is a fine line you walk to control uveitis with immune suppressive drugs and then have to deal with a herpes problem because of the immune suppression. I would assume the ophthalmologist would taper the pred as soon as he could so minimize the herpes problem. If you have not discussed this with him you need to do that. In the mean time you just have to aggressively control the herpes (continue the medication) as best you can to save vision.

Removing the eye should be only a salvage procedure if you fall at saving vision or cannot control pain in any other way.

Hope this helps. If so please click<accept> so that we will be here to answer other questions like yours. Thank you.

Thanks for your input. Yes, I know fine tuning the meds is needed to strike a balance with the two competing problems, the uveitis and the herpes. A week ago, my vet saw him and she pronounced him in fairly good shape (no ulcer, mild uveitis) and suggested I stop the famcyclovir after 3 days of lowering it to once a day, instead of twice. Within 48 hours or so of finishing the famcyclovir, Miro was squinting again so I called for a refill and restarted at twice a day. He has stayed on the cidofovir the entire time. He seems okay at the moment. I'll ask her if I can go from every other day prednisone to MWF as she had originally suggested.

I just want Miro comfortable. I will continue fighting the herpes.

Thanks again.