Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: wont eat..He sleeps most..litter box in about a week..vet twice…

Customer Question
My cat won't eat. He...
My cat won't eat. He sleeps most of the time, and I'm not sure if he has gone to the litter box in about a week. I have taken him to the vet twice, and hospitalized him for a day. He has blood tests and x-rays. He doesn't have anything wrong, except pain in his lower back and stomach, and he was medicated for tape worm. He will eat cat treats if i hand feed him, but he will only eat laying down. Most of the the time I have to give him water through an eye dropper. I can not be home to nurse him all the day long. I'm afraid he will not servive. Can you tell me what is wrong and what to do for him.

Chandler, Az.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/27/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Christie, veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr Christie
Dr Christie, veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer, this is Dr. Christie.

Has Mignon been tested for feline leukemia (FeLv) and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV or kitty AIDS)?

Was a full panel of bloodwork done to check his kidneys and his liver enzymes as well as his blood level (anemic, etc)? Any abnormalities?

Was his blood tested for blood parasites such as Mycoplasma?

Was a urinalysis performed to check for a bladder infection?

Did he have a fever at the vet's office?

Is there anything toxic he could have gotten into?

The answer is yes to all the above. I don't think he has gotten into anything toxic. He seemed normal on july 9th...then the next day he began to slow in his activites.
So just to confirm, on all the tests (urine, blood, blood parasites, etc), there were no abnormalities found? Do you have any of the bloodwork values?

lab findings6/20/10 pagl panel (pcv, alpha gluc, lytes)-pvc+42% tp+6.8

na+155

k+3.8

cl+120th

urinalysis via cycstocentesis

urine color :yellow

turbidity: clear

urine specific gravity :1.080

leuk est:small

nitrites:neg

urobilinogen: 0.2

protine:300

ph:7.5

blood :neg

ketones:neg

bilirubin:small

glucose-urine:neg

SEDIMENT::none

wbc/hpf:none sen

rbc/hpf: none seen

epithelial cells/hpf:occ squamous epi

crystals: triple phosphate++

other:amorphous debris

FeLv and FIV were tested as well?? I am assuming both were negative?

One abnormality I do see is the urine crystals in the urine/cystocentesis, the protein (likely the crystals). His urine specific gravity (tells us how well the kidneys can concentrate the urine as well as an indicator that they have been drinking, etc) is extremely high at 1.080. A cat's is typically around 1.035, so he is definitely not drinking enough water.

Crystals can come from infection or from simple inflammation. There were no white blood cells or red blood cells seen, so I suspect acute cystitis. Cats usually get this when they are stressed about something or sometimes we don't even find a cause, but it can be extremely painful. Here is an article concerning acute cystitis: http://www.petplace.com/cats/acute-cystitis-in-cats/page1.aspx

Usually this will resolve within a week, but pain medications as well as an antiinflammatory should be used to reduce the inflammation and get the cat back to eating and drinking and comfortable again. If they continue to refuse to eat or drink, I recommend starting subcutaneous fluids (your vet can show you how) so that they stay hydrated.

I would recommend getting Mignon into your vet to start IV fluids for a couple of days to get Mignon rehydrated and feeling better. Your vet can also supplement Mignon's fluids with dextrose (this is sugar) to help keep his blood sugar normal.

Dr. Christie

Dr Christie
Dr Christie, veterinarian

I forgot to mention, you should get Mignon onto a crystal dissolving diet once he is eating better. Crystals can actually clump together and form stones, so you definitely want to get rid of them. There are a couple of options you can ask your vet about, such as Hill's s/d or Royal canin's s/o.

Dr. Christie