Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 3-year-old cat ran away for the first time and returned…

Customer Question
My 3-year-old cat ran away...
My 3-year-old cat ran away for the first time and returned after 4 weeks with no appetite, lethargy, and two quarter-sized patches of missing hair. What can I do to get him to eat? Do you think he has a disease, or is his lack of appetite a temporary reaction to the trauma of being outdoors?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/27/2010
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

I think it's very likely, that is change in behavior and lack of appetite may be related to what he just went through, especially being an indoor cat previous to that. If you are right and the hairless areas are secondary to a fight or some other sort of, he may just need some time to adjust to being home. You didn't mention how long he has been home, but I think it would be a very good idea to schedule an exam for him with your veterinarian. After a thorough physical exam and will be able to rule out any internal injury that may be causing us problems. It is possible that the hairless areas could be a result of an injury like an encounter with a car or a fall, and there may be more serious internal problems. Cats are very good at hiding their pain, and so outwardly may appear fine, but a veterinary evaluation may reveal otherwise. I also would not let him go too long without eating, even if that requires some sort of appetite stimulant.

Hopefully as vaccines for up-to-date, and we won't have to worry about any viruses that he may have picked up or been exposed to. The more serious would be things like rabies, feline leukemia or feline AIDS. Your veterinarian can make sure he's not running a fever, which could indicate an infection from either virus or bacteria.

I hope this information is helpful, and please let me know if you have any further questions