Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian
Experience:  D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774

I have a 3 month old kitten that is not walking right. She

Customer Question

I have a 3 month old kitten that is not walking right. She gets her hind end up but keeps her front down and the back end wobbles side to side horribly. sometimes she is scooting backwards instead of trying to walk forward. She might have gotten into some offbrand oxyclean type cleaner, but other than that I don't know of anything different she might have been exposed to. There are not any apparent injuries visible and we can pet her and hold her without her showing signs of discomfort. She has not been vaccinated for anything. Any ideas what it could be? I have other cats - should I be worried or them too?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 8 years ago.

Hi this is Dr. Elaine, and I'll try to help.

How long ago did this start?

Was she fine one minute, then like you describe?

Does she go outside?

Any flea products used on/around her?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I noticed her laying infront of the washer earlier (about 4-5 hours ago) and she seemed reluctant to move... It has been pretty warm and all the cats were napping so I didn't think much of it. About 20 minutes ago I started a load of wash and started hearing an odd meow - I found her under the dresser across from the washer - she was laying on her side with her back arched slightly. I pulled her out and she seemed to arch more as I lifted her (not in a way she normally would). I noticed teh stuff in her fur and took her to was her off. At first it didn't seem that her hind legs were working at all - then she started moving around as I discribed.

She does not go outside - but I have others that do.

We use Advantage flea treatment - but the last treatment was over 2 weeks ago.

It sounds like she may have had a seizure of some sort.

In kittens with neurologic symptoms of sudden onset, I think about a) trauma

b)viral (like "dry" FIP--usually not transmitted to other cats, but by mother to offspring), parasitic ( like toxoplasmosis).

These things can all be checked/tested for.

A 'typical' seizure (altho nothing is very typical in cats when it comes to seizures...) would have her getting progressively more able to stand, walk about over 30min-hour.

If it has been this long and she is still very wobbly, I would either let her eat something or rub Karo syrup on her gums (for dextrose sugar) and call the emerg clinic.

Dr. Elaine

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry - what is FIP? Also, parasitic - could it happen if she has worms?

FIP is a corona virus that infects cats via their moms (i.e. "vertical transmission"). It can take "dry" or "wet" forms.

Check this site for more info: http://www.petplace.com/search.aspx?c=0&q=FIP&x=26&y=9

Parasites (especially toxo) can enter the brain and cause neurologic signs, usually progressive until/unless treated. Aberrant (not typical) "migration" of certain stages of other parasite larvae (like 'worms') can also do this.

Dr. Elaine