Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

we have 4 young ( between ages 1-3)cats that have fleas, what…

Customer Question
we have 4 young (...
we have 4 young ( between ages 1-3)cats that have fleas, what kinda product could we use to get rid of them? or what shampoo? and we also have a long hair and a short hair dog, is there any good product for them also?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/26/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Erica, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Erica
Dr. Erica, Cat Veterinarian
The best thing to use is one of the veterinary topical flea products. these are safe and work well. The best ones are Advantage, Frontline, Revolution or Vectra. They come for both cats and dogs but go by weight so you need to get the appropriate size. If you apply them once a month for at least 3 to 4 months in a row, then the flea cycle will get under control. To give them immediate relief, there is also a very safe pill called Capstar made for cats and dogs that will kill any live fleas immediately. Although you may be able to find Frontline or Advantage in large pet stores, the Capstar is only by prescription from a vet. Just make sure you do not use any of the grocery store type products like Hartz. These producats have a different active ingredient and can cause lots of reactions. If you want to bathe everyone first, the best thing to use is dish soap like Dawn. using a flea shampoo will probably be too much for them if you are then going to apply one of the topical products. Fleas can be frustrating, but if you treat all pets consistently, it will get better!