Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: is laying around in pain he can not pee..is a little dribble…

Customer Question
my cat is laying around...
my cat is laying around in pain he can not pee. the only thing that happens is a little dribble. what can i do?????
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/26/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Emergency and Critical Care Vet, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Emergency and Critical Care Vet
Hello-

Sorry to hear Smokie is not feeling well.

Inability to urinate in a male cat is a very serious problem. It is most often due to an obstruction in the urethra (possibly a stone, gritty crystal material, or protein plugs), which prevents the flow of urine from the bladder out of the penis.

In some cases, the cat may be able to dribble some urine around the obstruction.

This is a problem which is painful for the patient, as the bladder gets large and stretched. Usually the cat will vocalize or get upset if you put pressure on the abdomen. There are other complications that occur as a result -- increased potassium levels with heart arrhythmias and possible kidney failure for example.

This is a true emergency, if Smokie is obstructed. He needs to be seen by a veterinarian as soon as you can get him in. They will talk with you about relieving the obstruction by passing a urethral catheter and flushing out the bladder amongst other things.

Other possibilities for a cat in this position (can't pee, painful, lethargic) would be a traumatic injury to the back part of the spinal cord; a mass impinging on the urethra (unlikely in this age bracket); or kidney failure. Unfortunately for these problems as well as the urethral obstruction, there aren't any home treatments available.

Hope Smokie feels better soon!