Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Hi, My cat has a deep gash in his leg. It looks like something…

Customer Question
Hi, My cat has a deep...

My cat has a deep gash in his leg. It looks like something thick and sharp has penetrated it diagonally almost to the bone.

I think it might have happened last night because it wasn't bleeding anymore when I saw it.

What can I do to avoid any infections?

Thank you,

Jess.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/26/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian

Hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

The best way to clean the wound is to wash it with dilute soap and water then rinse it out. Finally wipe a little hydrogen peroxide in the wound. Only use the hydrogen peroxide once. If you can't get to the vet this weekend to start on antibiotics (which will be needed if the gash is down to the bone, then continue to wash it with dilute soap and water through the weekend.

That is the best you can do, it's in your best interest to have a vet see the wound ASAP but keep it clean int he meantime.

I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
I will take him to the vet as soon as possible.

Many thanks for getting back so qquickly.

Jess.
Best of luck!