Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat thoughs up instanly after swallowing, and strugles…

Customer Question
My cat thoughs up instanly...
My cat thoughs up instanly after swallowing, and strugles to hold it down after eating it sevarl times (soft can food is the only thing that will go down) . He has been sick for some time over a month .Have had him to two vets they can not tell me what is wrong.what should I do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/25/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Hi there.

It appears to me that your cat has a hair ball or something else causing a partial obstruction. This mass is too far down your cats digestive tract to come out your cats mouth but it is still making your cat nauseous. This is very common in younger cats and the fact that this has been going on for a month, this most ;likely is the problem.

The best thing to do is purchase a product called Laxatone at the local pet store. Give your cat 1/4 inch of this paste every 4 hrs for the first day and then this same dose twice per day for 2 days. If your cat is feeling better, then we have moved this partial obstruction through your cats digestive tract and your cat will be fine. Keep your cat on a maintenance dose of Laxatone twice per week to prevent this from occurring again.

If your cat is still vomiting, you will have to have your vet examine your cat again to be sure we have not missed something. This may require xrays and contrast studies since a hair ball mass that cannot be moved, may require surgery to remove this mass.

Good Luck!!