Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 9 month old kitten likely has dry FIP and has been showing…

Customer Question
My 9 month old kitten...
My 9 month old kitten likely has dry FIP and has been showing symptoms for 2 months. We originally had him on Transfer Factor and he was perfect for 1 month. Then all symptoms returned. We removed him from Transfer Factor and went with "traditional" veterinary treatment: he was on prednisone for about a week and that got him eating and drinking again. We also had him on an antibiotic to rule out toxo. He has been doing interferon 7 days on/7 days off. He's had 2 cycles so far. He is still eating, drinking, pooping normally, but his walking is very wobbly and difficult for him. My question is: can I put him back on Transfer Factor while he is on interferon treatment? I am unsure whether it's safe for him to be on both.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/25/2010
Cat Veterinarian: FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
FamilyPetDoctor
FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian

There shouldn't be an adverse interactions using transfer factor as well as interferon. So, since there isn't a great prognosis for FIP in general, I would definitely try that.

Did you do titers for FIP/corona? HAve the titers gone up?

Are you still doing Pred? Did it seem to help him much?

Dr C

Hi Dr. C, and thank you for your response. I will start the Transfer Factor back up. His titer has been 25K since we tested it 2 months ago. It hasn't changed, although he is due to be retested next week.

We completed 1 round of pred. It got him eating and drinking again, and he seemed to improve more when he finished it.

But, his walking seems worse - he is very wobbly and falls over. He doesn't have a temperature or really any other symptoms besides lots of sleep. He still tries to play sometimes. He eats good and drinks water and goes to the bathroom normally, except he really doesn't have the stability to turn around and cover it up. Which is fine by us because we can better monitor what it looks like. It's been solid so far, and normal color.

If the titer doesn't rise, then I would have a hard time believing that this was FIP. MOre likely just exposure to the corona virus at some point.... only a VERY SMALL percentage of cats "convert" to FIP. There are other very typical features of cats with true FIP. A high lymphocyte count and high globulin count. If you have rising titers, those changes in blood work, and other symptoms, then a diagnosis of FIP is made.... otherwise, it can be hard to truly know. HOPEFULLY, it's NOT FIP.

Of course, there are other serious central nervous system diseases, including Toxo to rule out-- especially with the worsening ataxia, or wobbliness. It's also possible that he has vestibular disease. That can be viral in nature.

If the titer doesn't support FIP, and he's continuing to worsen. I would ask for a veterinary neurologist consult. Your vet should be happy to give you a referral.

In the meantime, use all the immunostimulants you can; like Transfer Factor and Interferon. You could also consider Lysine...... it's given to cats with severe upper respiratory viral infections like Herpes. Ask your vet about his/her experience with it.

Best of luck with Scottie.... I will be able to answer further questions if you have any....

Dr C

I hope that this has been helpful info....... ; )

Hi Dr C,

We did antibiotics to rule out Toxo. His walking has improved since putting him back on Transfer Factor 3 days ago. He is still wobbly, but is walking slightly better, and he wants to get up and around.

I will ask my vet about the vestibular possibility, and I am anxious for another titer test. I hope he is just still fighting this virus, and that it hasn't mutated to FIP yet. Could all these symptoms be from him still fighting the virus?

Thank you so much!