Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

kitten: My 9 month..dry fip and has been showing symptoms for 2 months…

Customer Question
My 9 month old kitten...
My 9 month old kitten likely has dry FIP and has been showing symptoms for 2 months. We originally had him on Transfer Factor and he was perfect for 1 month. Then all symptoms returned. We removed him from Transfer Factor and went with "traditional" veterinary treatment: he was on prednisone for about a week and that got him eating and drinking again. We also had him on an antibiotic to rule out toxo. He has been doing interferon 7 days on/7 days off. He's had 2 cycles so far. He is still eating, drinking, pooping normally, but his walking is very wobbly and difficult for him.

My question is: can I put him back on Transfer Factor while he is on interferon treatment? I am unsure whether it's safe for him to be on both.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/25/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Sorry to hear about Scottie. Dry FIP is definitely a difficult disease to diagnose and treat. There is no known contraindications to using these medications together. The only known possible drug interactions with Alpha interferon are antivirals, like AZT. The Transfer Factor is reported to be very safe. There really isn't an over dosage amount on it. It basically says to give as much as necessary. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
I thought I read somewhere that interferon is a transfer factor. But is it only an antiviral drug? So, you think it's safe to use interferon and transfer factor at the same time?

I'm not sure if you received my reply, or if I accidentally hit "accept" instead of "reply." Please advise. Thank you so much!

I would give it at the same time. Interferon is more of an immune stimulant. Transfer factor is an immune stimulant as well. Neither are really an antiviral drug, although they tend to help in viral infections. Hope this helps.
THank you!

You are very welcome.