Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: licking her nipples a lot an swinging her tail..any signs..babies…

Customer Question
hi my cat is pregnant...
hi my cat is pregnant the vet sed she had 2 weeks left which is today she is licking her nipples a lot an swinging her tail around are these any signs she is ready to have her babies?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/25/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Those are early signs of labor. Other signs include pacing and nesting. You will need to prepare a whelping box and a soft and secure area for her to stay in.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

hi i have 2 nesting places for my cat she isnt bothering with any at all how long would u say she has left untill she has them i can see them flippin around inside her she is just sprawling out evrywer.

Usually once you see those signs, actual labor should occur within 24 to 48 hours. So if after 48 hours and there is no kittens produced, I would suggest to take her to your vet for an exam.

also her fur is cumin away from her nipples now. do u know how much it will cost to get her examined by a vet?

That really depends on your area. I am not sure about the UK. But here in the US exam fees are usually between $40 to $60 USD, depending on the locale. ie. urban vs suburban vs rural area. Also, since you said she was seen by your vet already and had 2 weeks left, you can call that vet to find out how much a recheck exam is.

so on what i have told you do u think she is redy to give birth anytime soon?

As I have mentioned above, most likely within 24 to 48 hours. That is the reason if there is no signs of labor in 48 hours, then she needs to go see your vet.

she has been doing these signs for 2 days now

Then you should take her to your vet just to be sure.

could sumfin be wrong

That is exactly what I am trying to tell you. Take her to your vet to be sure. She might have difficulty pushing, not enough calcium, not enough oxytocin, etc. There are many things. Without going to your vet with an actual hands on exam, I can only give you advise based on what you are describing. And from what you have told me so far, I am recommending the following:

*** Go to your vet for an exam. ***

If you cannot do so for whatever reason, then the only thing you can do is to watch and monitor her. There is nothing you can give over the counter for self-diagnosis or self-treatment.