Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Hello, My cat is not acting like herself, and in the past…

Hello, My cat is not...

My cat is not acting like herself, and in the past hour or so has had her mouth open and won't or can't seem to close it. Because of this she's been drooling as well. I do not currently have a primary vet since I moved last and worry I may not be able to afford a trip to the emergency vet... I will of course figure something out if I have to, but do you have any thoughts on what might be going on?

Thank you!
Dede

Also, thinking back, she has been a bit off her routine the past few days, sleeping in the same two spots that are not typical of her... She is still active when she is awake though and I did see her eat yesterday. She was playing a bit with her sister yesterday too and running around a bit, but no where near as much. She seems a bit skinnier perhaps...
6/25/2010
Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian

Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine.

Can I ask a few Qs?

Does Manny go outside?

Any other signs like vomiting?

Were you actually able to look inside her mouth?

Manny is indoor only, as is her sister. We have had an increase of hairballs lately as well as a couple instances of more liquidy vomit that was their dry food with some fluid, but I don't know which one it came from. And, she was not quite happy when I tried to look in her mouth, but from what I could see I did not see anything obvious. I will try again.

Thank you!
Let me know what you see. I will wait.
I got a better look this time and nothing noticeable at all. She didn't have this open mouth/drool thing maybe 2 hours ago as I gave them both cat treats which she ate then. Treats which she's eaten since she was a kitten and I would have noticed if she was having this issue then. I don't think I would be nearly as concerned if she hadn't been acting "not herself" lately.

While it is possible that she has (literally) "eaten a bug" (cat's seem to do this quite often, and sometimes with fairly pronounced signs of oral irritation/anxiety/nausea.

I agree with you, however, that in addition to these odd symptoms tonight, if she has been lethargic or "off" lately, then she at least should see a veterinarian (no time like the present to find one, I guessEmbarassed) tomorrow.

Certainly if she becomes more lethargic, vomits repeatedly she should be seen sooner than later, but especially if she seems to have any difficulty breathing (any open-mouth breathing in a cat is cause for immediate evaluation, so if she still seems to be doing

this) I'd seek emergency care tonight.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of further assistance

Dr. Elaine

Thank you very much.

I just want to clarify about the breathing. At this point, she has the open mouth, but isn't panting or seeming to be gasping at all for air. The drooling obviously is a result of the open mouth, but do you think at this point as long as she is not struggling for air at all and energy-wise that I can focus on researching a vet for the morning unless a change occurs?

Probably, but be advised that this could change rapidly. Abdominal effort (watch her at rest when she isn't aware that you are) should look relaxed--i.e.no heaving. Cats also should breath quietly unless her facial anatomy makes her a bit noisy.

You may want to put some water and soft food right where she can get to it.

Take care,

Dr. Elaine

Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian
Thank you for your help.

It is greatly appreciated, especially at 3am.

Dede