Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: most of the time his results range from high 200s to low 400s…

I have a 9 year...
I have a 9 year old diabetic cat who I am having trouble getting regulated. I do BG tests at home and most of the time his results range from high 200s to low 400s. He also has gastroenteritis and is on cisapride twice a day. In addition, he has developed neuropathy. I am working with my vets on trying to get him regulated but his levels seem so out of control. He is currently eating a dry form of Purina NF (because my other cat has a kidney issue and my vet determined the difference between the food wasn't too bad). My question is should I switch him over to a low-carb wet food? AND are there any other suggestions on how I can get him regulated as quickly as possible? I'm afraid I'm running out of time with his neuropathy getting worse.
6/25/2010
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. There are many reasons on why it would be difficult to regulate him. I don't really know where all the highs and lows are, so it may be difficult to give specifics for him. The goal is to get the glucose levels between 150 and 200. It could be the administration or storage of the insulin. If not mixed correctly, it can make it less effective. Make sure you are using the proper syringes for the insulin (U40 vs U100). Make sure it is stored correctly (in the fridge - it should not be close to freezing). The dosage of the insulin may need to be adjusted. He may be resistant to that particular insulin. You may want to try glarigine insulin. I would check for any underlying diseases, such as Cushing's disease, Acromegaly, hyperthyroidism, liver disease, kidney disease and urinary tract infection. The slightest infection can may regulation difficult. If he is obese or overweight, the extra weight will make it more difficult to regulate. He may even be developing antibodies to the insulin. Some cats don't absorb insulin very well if given subcutaneously. It may need to be given intramuscularly. Altering the feeding schedule can cause issues as well. Being that most cats are Type 2 diabetics, their disease is more related to their diet. With that being the case, I would definitely get him on a diabetic diet. Being on this diet might actually cause him to go into remission and not need insulin anymore. You can change the food first, but I would consider more bloodwork to check for those other issues and a urine culture to look for infection, assuming none of these have been done yet. If there is no response, I would try a different bottle of insulin, or try a different type of insulin altogether. The website below has more information for you. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2130&aid=201

How is Percy doing this morning?
His blood sugar was 113 before he ate this morning. I've checked him every hour since he has eaten and it's been below 100 everytime. I decided not to give him insuilin this morning and will continue to check his levels throughout the day. I did start him on some canned DM last night and mixed it with his dry food today. I have decided to transition him off his dry food and onto the canned. It seems as though his blood sugar was higher when he was taking insulin....is that possible? Is it also possible that he is no longer diabetic?
With values like that, it is very possible he is in remission. I agree that I would not give him any insulin right now. If he stays at his current glucose levels, I would probably repeat tomorrow and recheck a week later. The dry food does have more carbohydrates in it, so the canned food may be a better choice for him. I would definitely keep him on the DM diet, though. You might want to have your vet check a serum fructosamine value on him. It gives a good indication of the glucose trends over the past 6-8 weeks. Hope this helps.
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Thank you!
You are very welcome.