Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Hello. My cat is a 12 year old male- who has been overweight…

Customer Question
Hello. My cat is...
Hello. My cat is a 12 year old male- who has been overweight most of his life- but has now lost an enormous amount of weight. i noticed tonight while cleaning the litter box that it appeared to be bloody tissue type matter that I've never seen before. He's usually been an outdoor kitty and has had no prior medical problems but is now staying in all the time. I'm very worried about his weight loss and what I saw in the litter box. His behavior has been normal. Can you please help? thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/24/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 8 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : An older cat which has been losing weight is always a cause for concern and the bloody tissue you saw could be a sign of some internal alimentary tract problem.

While occasionally it can be something simple and so easily corrected there is always the possibility it might be something more serious. There is usually a reason other than just old age. It may indicate diseases such as kidney disease or diabetes for example, weight loss would be common in these types of situation.

Another way to look at this is that as your cat is slowly losing weight you could say it is wasting, and we all know what the wasting diseases are, I have known such cats have an alimentary mass for example where in the early stages the only symptom was weight loss or perhaps the discharge you saw. Your best way forward here would be to have your vet examine the cat again, and perhaps run a screening blood test.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS