Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

persian: declawed..indoors..loves..However, her fur is FULL of knots…

Customer Question
We have a persian cat...
We have a persian cat, she's fixed, declawed, and used to be indoors. After we got a farm cat, she decided to "get out" all the time, and prefers to live outdoors (they sleep in the garage) but loves outdoors. However, her fur is FULL of knots, and no longer can be brushed.
I noticed it's starting to literally shed as if she were being "skinned".
What can I do? Should I take her in to be totally shaved to start her fur over again? Then she'd have to be indoors (like it or not) until her fur grows back. Can she be kept groomed short at least during warmer months, so she can continue to enjoy her new "world" outdoors?
I hope you have answers, especially why her fur is literally coming off in sheets/clumps.
Thank you
Debbie
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/23/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Dave, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Yes, I would recommend having her shaved down. Many groomers and veterinary clinics will do what is called a "lion cut" on cats to get rid of their matts. Usually the hair is shaved off most of their body (but not on the head, tail, and paws). It can be shaved flush with the skin, or a short amount of hair can be left (so she's not bald in those areas!) Some cats need to be sedated in order to do this, so you will need to ask the groomer or veterinary clinic that you take her to, to let you know if they do that type of thing. I think that would be the best thing for her.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist further.

Dr. Dave