Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 5 year old tabby, Jamie, has FLUTD. Jamie has been rushed…

Customer Question
My 5 year old tabby...
My 5 year old tabby, Jamie, has FLUTD. Jamie has been rushed to the emergency pet hospital 3 times in 2 months and has been hospitalized at his vet's 5 times in 3 months. This vet keeps putting Jamie on Hill's Prescription S/D or C/D (Jamie also gets put on antibiotics which adds to his stress level and he hates the Prescription food). I now only give my 3 cats canned food, plenty of fresh water, and I sprinkle Jamie's food with cranberry relief powder and probiotics for all of them.

My question is: A holistic pet nutritionist said I should stop giving Jamie poultry (chicken, turkey) because they are bad for cats with struvite crystals. She also said be careful with beef. So what am I supposed to feed my cats, especially Jamie, if poultry is bad especially for him? I guess I'm at my wit's end with all the different opinions. Can you help? Is poultry bad for cats with FLUTD and crystals?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/23/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian

I assume someone has discussed with you the fact that FLUTD is now known to be a neurologic disorder with the bladder simply the end organ of inflammation. What you are doing with the all canned diet, adding water to it to make broth or gravy to increase water intake, and doing anything else you can do to increase water intake is ideal to dilute the urine. The food does not have to be prescription C/D or S/D and chicken or any meats are fine. Try to avoid organ meats.

I don't see any mention of pain medication. Stress is thought to be the primary precipitator of these events. It's stress in the eyes of Jamie, it may not be what you think is stressful to him. You are correct, changing foods to things they don't like, trips to the vet, all these episodes, and especially pain can exacerbate the events.

At the first sign of one of these events you should have pain medication at home to give right away. This will often stop the episode before it gets going.

At the bottom of my post is a link to a discussion about enriching the cat's environment and reducing stress. That is going to be what stops these events. This is also a link to the effects of stress on cat health.

http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/sites/default/files/February_CliniciansUpdate.pdf

Lastly, unless your cat is obstructing and can't urinate, he probably doesn't have to run to the vet every time he is painful. If he is obstructing and has to be catheterized, he is long overdue for a perineal urethrostomy surgical procedure to stop the obstructions. Don't let anyone tell you it shouldn't be done. It is an easy surgery by a surgical specialist end the concern with obstruction.

Hope this helps. If so please click<accept> so that we will be here to answer other questions like yours. Thank you.