Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: vomiting and not acting as active..her xray was normal..pepcid…

Customer Question
Hello, My cat Lola is about...

My cat Lola is about 6yrs old and for the past few days 2 days she has been vomiting and not acting as active as she normally is. I took her to the cat hospital and her xray was normal. She was given a saline bolus and a shot of pepcid and zofran. She is still just laying in one place not moving as much. Should I be concerned?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/23/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Cat Veterinarian

Was any bloodwork run? If so, what were the results?

Is she still vomiting?

does she go outside at all?

Is she still eating and drinking?

Is she the kind of cat that would potentially eat non food objects (strings, toys, etc)?

Yes, she is. Although her xray did not show any foreign objects.
No blood work was done. She was started on a low residue diet and she is not eating as much. She does not go outside at all. We also have another cat (her sister) and she is totally fine. They both eat the same food.

I would be concerned that there is still something going on that needs to be addressed. It is possible that she has a foreign body obstruction and the x-ray didn't pick it up, or it is too early to see it on x-ray.

There may be something else going on as well that bloodwork is needed for a diagnosis.

If the vomiting has stopped since the injections and the fluids, then I would give her another 24 hours or so to see if the medications kick in and she starts acting more like herself. However, if after 24 hours (or if she is still vomiting), then I would encourage you to take her back for more testing to get a diagnosis. It may mean doing bloodwork and urinalysis, or repeating the x-ray, or even doing an ultrasound to look at the abdomen more closely.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

She vomited twice today. How bad would an obstruction be for her? How would the boodwork help diagnose her?

I assume you mean that she has vomited since the vet visit.

An obstruction can be life threatening. If the intestines are not able to move something along, then they keep pushing and eventually they can rupture or perforate leading to peritonitis and usually death. Another type of obstruction that cats often get is a linear foreign body obstruction. This occurs from strings and threads and similar objects. The string gets lodged, and starts to saw throught the intestinal wall, leading again to perforation. Obstructions need to be addressed quickly and typically with surgery. Sometimes obstructions are not seen on a regular x-ray, and barium may have to be administered to highlight the foreign body. Sometimes an ultrasound is needed as well to see an obstruction, or to evaluate a vomiting pet.

The bloodwork would likely not diagnose an obstruction, but may show changes in the white blood cell count indicating inflammation or infection. Other conditions bloodwork would reveal include liver, and kidney disorder, infections, and dehydration.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Bruce, Cat Veterinarian
thank you

You're welcome.

Good luck and let me know how she does.