Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

kitten: weeks old..transitioned to live indoors..lets me..smelling…

Customer Question
I have a male kitten...
I have a male kitten, about 8 weeks old, whom I have just transitioned to live indoors. He has had a respitory infection and thats being treated, but I CANNOT get him to go to the litter box..He tries to go to the same places that he has been before, so that lets me know the respitory infection hasn't interfered with him smelling, I have put out two different cat boxes both with different litters, I have even put the deposits that he has left inappropriately in the box, so as to show him this is where this goes. I have put him, when I can catch him, in the litter box whenever he is going to the bathroom somewhere he shouldn't, and I leave him in the bathroom when I am not home to monitor him. He still waits till I arrive home, to seek out one of his old haunts, or develope new ones. I really love this cat, and I have owned many, and I have NEVER had this much trouble getting a cat to litter train!! HELP
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/22/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Hi there! Kittens that were reared without their mom or another adult usually take longer to be litter trained. You are doing the right things in keeping him confined and in your training efforts, but you should consider keeping him confined the vast majority of the time for a few weeks until he is trained. Keep him in a small bathroom in a box, with the litter box next to the box. Once he has had success that way, remove the box but keep him and his litter box in the bathroom and see how he does. The move to a slightly bigger room, etc, and take small steps this way until you are comfortable that he will use the litter box at all times. Find a litter and a box type and stick with it. Here are some tips:

• Place the kitten in the box 1/2 hour after play or meals.
  • Stimulate interest in the litter by stirring it with a spoon or other object.
  • Let the kitten jump in and out of the litter box instead of restraining him.
  • Continue to place some stool in the litter box (builds associations between litter box and bathroom needs).
  • Use a litter with pellets as these mask the wet feel.
Hope this helps! This will take longer than what you are accustomed to, so stick with it... it'll happen!