Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: vet until..her claws so badly trying to get out of the carrier…

Customer Question
My cat is nearly fifteen...
My cat is nearly fifteen years old and has suffered from claustrophobia all her life. She has been fortunate never to have needed to go to the vet until christmas day 2009 when we had to take her because of a boken tooth. As a result she damaged her claws so badly trying to get out of the carrier that the vet asked if she'd been in a road accident. She seems to have a very sore throat and is gipping when swallowing. You can here the flem.She is eating but only small amounts but I know she is in pain. All I want is some pain killer to ease her symptoms but my local vet is refusing before they have examined her. I do not want to take her because I know she will hurt herself again and have a real fear that she may have some sort of colapse. She is also very overweight. Is there any thing I can buy to help her? It seems wrong that we can purchase paracetomol for humans but not the equivalent for animals, without a costly visit to the vet, not that money is the issue here. I would pay double for some pain killers rather than put her through the journey.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/22/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian

You can use aspirin 80 mg once every 3 days. Do not use tylenol or ibuprofen.

Sounds like a viral flare up and/or sore throat. The cats do not have to "catch" the virus, it's in their system.

The upper respiratory virus in cats is caused by a herpes virus (not contagious to humans). Every cat has been infected with the virus as a kitten. Most cats have been vaccinated for this virus with their routine vaccinations. The virus never goes away; it just goes dormant in the body. During periods when immunity goes down, the virus can flare up and show signs of infection somewhere in the body.

Spring and fall seems to be a common season for these viral flare ups, just like the human flu season. Stress events frequently lower immune resistance and can bring on a flare up of the virus. In mature, vaccinated cats the signs tend to be mild and self-limiting.

Entice your cat to eat with strong smelling soft food, cooked chicken, strained meat baby foods, lunch meat, yogurt, ice cream, anything to get calories in. Add water to make soupy and let your kitty drink the gravy.

As long as your cat continues to eat and has no colored (yellow/green) discharges from its nose or eyes, the signs you are seeing should resolve in 5-7 days.

If your cat stops eating, develops more significant discharges, or if the signs worsen or persist, call your veterinarian for an examination.

Hope this helps. If so please click<accept> so that we will be here to answer other questions like yours. Thank you.

Relist: Incomplete answer.
worried that aspirin may harm her stomach. how do i administer it and shoudnt it be diluted
No, carefully, no.

thank you

I have just found some METACAM(meloxicam for imflamation and pain in chronic musculo-skeletal disorders) in the cupboard from Chrismas when she had 3 teeth removed. Will this help ?

Yes it will help. The dose in cats is one drop once daily. Anything more than that can cause renal failure.