Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

cat: smart and we have been told is part Bobcat.

Customer Question
We have a cat that...
We have a cat that we have had about 6 months. She was taken off the street by my daughter. She is very smart and we have been told is part Bobcat. She has been throwing up for about 30 hours. She has been throwing up about every hour this morning. She was eating yesterday (IAMS cat food) but hasn't been eating last night during the night or this a.m. Sunday she may have nibbled on an ivy plant. Typical house hold philodendron. We are very attached to her. We live in Tuttle Ok. and have not had her to a vet as yet.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/22/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Erica, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Erica
Dr. Erica, Cat Veterinarian
Nibbling on the plants could definitely be the cause of her vomitting but vomitting so frequently is cause for concern. She is going to become dehydrated very quickly so ideally she should be taken to the vet for fluids and for medication to settle her stomach. If she drank water and has held it down, then there are a few things you can try at home. First, do not feed her for the next 12 hours. Let her drink small amounts of water frequently. Give her 1/4 tablet of pepcid or tagamet twice a day. This will help control the vomitting and heal any ulcers the plants may have caused. If she is doing a little better, then after 12 hours, feed her a bland diet of plain white rice mixed with boiled chicken. Nothing greasy or fried. Feed 2 parts rice and 1 part chicken. This is a very bland and gentle diet that she should be able to tolerate. If she can hold this down , then fed this diet exclusively, along with the pepcid for 48 hours. Then start to mix her cat food in with the bland diet and gradually wean her back to her regular food and off the pepcid. However, the other concern is that she may have eaten something that is causing an obstruction (like a string or rubber band). Therefore, if the vomitting doesn't subside with the pepcid or if she continues to act sick (lethargic, won't eat, etc) then try to get her to a vet for x rays and further treatment. If the upset stomach is purely due to the plants, then the at home remedies should work. I hope this information helps. Good luck with Stella!
Dr. Erica
Dr. Erica, Cat Veterinarian
We have just integrated a 3 month old female cat from PetSmart into our household since Thursday. We also have 2 feral siamese 2yr. old cats. We have cat dishes in our room for the 'girls' as well as the laundry room and kitchen. Stella is prone to be my husbands cat. He lost his 23yr. old cat last year and Stella just happened into our life by accident. The new kitten is all over the place trying to fit in. Stella usually plays but this morning she is laying on the carpet just being lethargic. We are panicked with Stella being sick. She is extremely intelligent and plays with my husband like a little kid. She is very special to us, but my husband especially.
Sorry it took me so long to get bak to you- I had to go to my office. If Stella is still acting very lethargic then she should be seen by a vet for I.V fluids. Sometimes cats can become stressed by a change in environment (bringing home new cats) and stress can show up as vomitting and/or diarrhea. Cats can be very needy and if Stella is used to having all of your husbands attention, then the new cats may be causing her stress. Are any of them sick? Let me know if the pepcid works and if you have further questions. It sounds like Stella is a very special kitty.
I took her into the Vet because she was vomiting really bad. Come to find out...When we first brought the kitten home, our small dog scared her so bad she crapped down my leg and some ended up on the floor. Stella was concerned about her hissing and crying and when she saw or smelled the crap..she cleaned it up. The Vet said it was not the ivy..it is a parasite that Stella ingested from KiKi when she cleaned up after her. It has just been long enough for the infestation to take effect. He hydrated her and gave me nausea and antibiotics for Stella. The other cats are not sick nor is the baby (KiKi). The feral cats wont have anything to do with KiKi.
Thank you for getting back to me.
Oh good- I am glad it was a simple intestinal parasite. They should all be fine!