Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our 11 year old domestic cat has just started going to the…

Customer Question
Our 11 year old domestic...
Our 11 year old domestic cat has just started going to the bathroom (mostly just #2 - I think only once #1) on my roommates carpet in the exact same spot everytime and at the same time every night (between the hours of 3am and 5am).

We thought at first that it might be because we changed the food or that we needed a second box.

So we switched the food back and put a second little box in the hallway for easy access.

He is overweight, however other than that seems in good health.

Its very odd that he does it at the same time in the same place....and never again during the day...just then.

We have used all the cleaners etc and will steam clean/replace the carpet once we figure out what's wrong.

Any suggestions? He is a very mellow cat, and very close to me, like my son.

Suggestions beyond what we have already done?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/22/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

I would be suspicious of the anal glands being impacted. I would suggest to take him to your vet for a rectal exam as well as check the anal glands, and have them expressed if they are full. If they are normal, then this is likely an incontinence issue due to age, and your vet can get you some medication to help control that. Of course, there are other possibilities, such as intestinal parasites and behavior issue, which are less likely, though possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Its very odd because he has never done this before.
He actually right in front of both of us urinated right on the shoe mat and sometime during the day yesterday did it on my athletic clothes.
Why is this happening all of a sudden?

We are trying to dicipline him by keeping him in the washroom today but the other cat is just sitting in front of the bathroom door and guilt is kicking in.

What should we do? We don't have alot of money for a series of tests.

What exactly are these issues that you have described? Why are they just starting now?

Is there a possibility we might have to put him down?

Without having some tests done, there is no way to know exactly what is going on. These tests are not expensive at all. Discipline will not work as there is likely a medical condition going on.

1. Defecating inappropriately could be due to anal glands being full or fecal incontinence. Anal glands sometimes get full for no reason, it just needs to be expressed. Incontinence is something that older cats get, could be due to spinal problems. Anal gland expression should not cost more than $15 from your vet, plus the exam fee, which is not that expensive, usually $40 to $50 depending on your location.

2. Urinating inappropriately could be due to urinary tract infection or incontinence or bladder stones, of course, cancer is also possible. This requires an urinalysis. And this only cost about $20 to $30. So he needs this test as well. Infection come at any time. Incontinence can be due to age.

If you cannot afford this, then you would not be able to afford euthanasia either. The above should total to less than $100, which is usually about the cost of euthanasia and cremation. I do not think he needs to be euthanized, unless your vet diagnoses cancer.

If you are satisfied with my help, please press ACCEPT so the system can acknowledge my work here.

Edited by Dr. Lee on 6/23/2010 at 2:48 PM EST
What kind of an answer is that?
Here in Canada just to see a vet for a check up costs $120 and just you making a snarky comment about not being able to afford to put the animal down is disgusting!

Your answers are totally unsatisfactory and your unsympathetic and honestly what is probably totally far fetched ideas as to what is wrong with the cat makes me glad that you turned to animal care instead of human...

However...either way I think you should try something where there is no contact with living creatures. You are a quack.
Relist: This vet is rude and downright snobbish.

Making up these diseases that are far fetched and quite honestly off the radar...

And on top of it he insults me. .
This vet is rude and downright snobbish.

And on top of it he insults me.

I'm sorry if you feel that way. For example, Vancouver vets charge about $70 for exam, and that is in the city. As I said, it depends on where you are. $120 is more along the line of a specialist pricing.

If you re-read your replies, you are the one who asked about the need to euthanize. Your exact word was "Is there a possibility we might have to put him down? ".

Your last reply with name calling definitely shows your lack of understanding and education. Hope your cat can get some veterinary care and tests soon.