Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I adopted my cat mo mo back in april, About 2 weeks after adopting…

Customer Question
I adopted my cat mo...
I adopted my cat mo mo back in april, About 2 weeks after adopting him I noticed a strong odor come from his front right paw. It appeared he hadnt been cleaning properly so I had cleaned it a couple times to remove any litter that may have gotten into it to make it smell. However a couple days late he began limping and not placing any pressure on that paw. After taking him to the vet I was informed it was an ingrown claw that had become infected. The vet cleaned it, placed a cone around his neck and told me to soak the paw in blue liquid she had given me. She also told me it would occur again. And some sort of procedure needed to be done if it kept occuring. Now today i noticed his back paw becoming infected like the other but all his claws seem ok, I dont know what to do, please help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/21/2010
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 8 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Does your cat go outside or is he a 100% house cat?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Hes an indoor cat only. And was also kept as an indoor cat from his previous owners
Thanks for the quick reply.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. If your cat's foot seems infected the best thing to do is to have a vet take a look again as prescription drugs such as antibiotics may well be needed. Any infection could well be deep in the tissues and so anything you put on the outside of the foot may well have little impact.

2. Indoor cats can get abscesses for reasons other than an ingrowing claws.

3. As far as ingrowing claws go if your check the foot each couple of weeks or so and then cut any claw which in turning with cat nail cutters or indeed human nail clippers then this should not present any future problems. In a minority of cases the claw has to be removed surgically.

I am sorry I cannot safely suggest any home remedy here as there is a range of diagnosis, accordingly my advice is that you should have your vet check your cat out.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS